Owl Image

Suggest treatment for metallic taste in the mouth

Owl Image
Dr. Naveen Kumar

ENT Specialist

Question
I had a severe sinus infection and after high doses of antibiotics the infection was cured but it left me with a metalic taste and sometime i get welts in my mouth.
Mon, 1 Sep 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please see the answer below...

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for posting the query

Do not worry! This is one of the commonest side effects of the antibiotics. It will clear off soon. You need to maintain hydration and replenish the body with essential vitamins.

My suggestions to you are:
1. Drink plenty of warm water, this will keep the tissues hydrated and reduce the metallic taste. Also, this helps in reducing the welts in the mouth.
2. Consume plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables. These are the rich source of vitamins. Vitamins facilitates re-growing of the damaged mucosa.
3. Avoid coffee/smoking/chilled food & beverages.
4. Do steam inhalation 3-4 times a day. This will relieve the nasal block and thus the mouth breathing.

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for metallic taste in the mouth 21 minutes later
I forgot to mention that this has been going on since April. Is there a time frame that this could disappear ? Thank you!

Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please see the answer below...

Detailed Answer:
HI

Thanks for writing back

My goodness! This is too long a period, this should have been disappeared by now.

You can try taking vitamins for a couple of weeks. If you do not feel better even after taking the vitamins, consult your doctor for a complete examination of the oral cavity and the nose.

I wish you good health and speedy recovery.