Suggest treatment for meniscus tear

Dr. Alokkalyani

Rheumatologist

Posted on Mon, 26 Oct 2015 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: hey my name XXXXXXX i had mri on my left knee torn my acl and meniscus and won't be having surgery for two or three months.I ask my doctor if i could have some time off because I'm in pain at work and my knee give out.He told me ownly way i could get off work if i was pass out. Is that true? Because my doctor never listen to me and interrupted me when i talk, treats me like I'm stupid. Help please

my e-mails is YYYY@YYYY ,the first email on page wrong missing a 1 in account. please use e-mail YYYY@YYYY that correct one thanks for your time
Answered by Dr. Alokkalyani 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
go for surgery

Detailed Answer:
Hi
I understand your concern, but if surgery is required now, you cannot postpone it for long... this is not a emergency but yes should be done as early as possible, more you late, poor the outcome.
But yes, it is not do or die... if there is genuine reason, you can wait for some time...

Hope this will help

if you want to wait, try to avoid further trauma to knee and avoid running etc , meanwhile you can take pain killer if required and use crepe bandage at day time.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina
Follow up: Dr. Alokkalyani 1 hour later
thanks but sadly might have wait because workers comp.I got injury on job,they are taking forever on purpose. Still have wait for company insurance proof of it first for surgery . Meanwhile do i have to go work I'm in pain most time .Hard on my knee, it's so bad starting affect my other knee .My company doctor doesn't listen to what i got say.I try pain killers ownly work for week and i have problems sleeping at night because pain. Any advice about this?

I'm on crutches because my left knee give out after 20mins .I'm going have mri on my right knee because pain to. I tried physical therapy like my company doctor ordered but it didn't work so now I have to have MRI on my right. I ask company doctor it would be in my best interest that i could stay home, so i don't do more damage on my right knee.Because surgery won't be for awhile because worker comp.I give legit reasons but company doctor just ignore me give me restrictions.Will not give me time off work unless I'm pass out. I explain my pain and everything ,but his best interest forcing me at work and making me see him weekly just ignore me,give me restrictions .I want to heal be able work in future.Need advice bad, should i ask switch doctors
Answered by Dr. Alokkalyani 12 hours later
Brief Answer:
do exercises

Detailed Answer:
Hi
I feel really sorry

You can continue exercises and on and off pain killer as and when required. Knee brace can be helpful. Yes you can try another doctor for time off work.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj