Suggest treatment for memory problem post head injury

Dr. Neeraj Kumar

Neurologist

Posted on Tue, 20 Oct 2015 in General Health
Question: Dear Sir, I have difficulty in getting familiar names and some common/right words while speaking in english, where as its picture is memorizing immediately. this has been effecting for the past 7 years. I can remember phone numbers easily.

Because of this i feel nervous while giving demos. totally afraid to give demo(severe anxierty). Severely impacted my job. i had an head injury in 1988. In recent ctscan it was mentioned that minimal hypo density noted left frontal lobe anteriority. i have attached the ct scan report as attachment.

Since i am 18 years old, if i read any text book, before finishing the first page, i used to get sleep. I might have read the first page for 500 times.

The other thing is i have excessive daytime sleep in the office, if i have no work or i am reading something.It will lost for half an hour.
I have a job interview in couple of days. Please suggest, what should i do.

Thanks!!
Answered by Dr. Neeraj Kumar 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Get investigations as advised below

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXX,
i have gone through your question and understand your concerns.
After head injury some impairment in memory and brain functions occurs. Most abnormalities improve but some may persist.
At this point of time I will advice you to get blood investigation like blood sugar, thyroid profile, vitamin B12, liver and renal function test. You can also get an EEG done.
If any abnormality is detected then treatment can be taken accordingly.
CT report is showing old head injury related changes.
Hope you found the answer helpful.
Do get back with above reports.
Dr Neeraj Kumar
Neurologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Neeraj Kumar 22 hours later
Dear Doctor,

Thanks for the Reply. Unfortunately I did not get the correct information.
I need your guidance\help in curing\mitigating the following things.

1. how I can mitigate the Excessive daytime sleepiness?
2. How Can I improve my recollection of person\place names.
3. What is the anxiety medication I can use while i have interviews or Demo?

Case History:

1. I met accident in 1988. I am OK till 2008. After that only i noticed a bit problem while recollecting words\place names. I am good in remembering phone numbers and faces or pictures.

I used to do 3 digits multiplications with out pen and paper. Now also I am good at analytical skills, but not able to perform three digit multiplications.

2. While reading text books, I get sleep since 1992. I am OK, while reading novels and news papers.

3. I can't sleep more than 5 hours at a stretch. I have been experiencing EDS (Excessive daytime sleep) since 1992. The EDS is only for 15 to 30 mins per day.
Most of the times post lunch. Few times, I experience this at 5PM too.

4. I have phobia for public speaking. I feel bit nervous when some body tries to evaluate me or during some interviews.

Regarding Lab tests. Last month I had all these following tests.

1. I don't have BP
2. I dont have Sugar (HB1AC)
3. I dont have thyroid (T3 & T4)
4. Lever Function test is Normal
5. BUN is also Normal
6. B12 is also in Normal Range
7. I have Cholesterol: 224 mg/dL and VLDL: 54 mg/dL
8. I don't smoke and drink
9. EEG report has been attached.
10. I dont have sinus. In my CT scan a slight sinus was told. But ENT doctor told that, i dont have that problem.
11. Though sometimes i experienced severe stress earlier, I can confidently say i don't have depression.

Hope i have given enough information. Thanks for your time. Could you please revert back, if you require any further information.
Answered by Dr. Neeraj Kumar 52 minutes later
Brief Answer:
consult a neurologist and take some benzodiazepine

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear,
I have gone through your questions and reports.
Are you having any snoring or night sleep deficiency.
In person's with inadequate night sleep or snoring, possibility of day time sleepiness, memory and concentration defects occurs.
For your naming related problem you should get a consultation from a neurologist.
For anxiety you may take benzodiazepine drugs which are prescribed by licensed physician/psychiatrist or neurologist.
You can try yoga and morning walk for some time.
Hope you recover early.
Dr Neeraj Kumar
Neurologist
Follow up: Dr. Neeraj Kumar 31 minutes later
Thank you Doctor.

I don't snore. I may have sleeping deficiency. I hardly sleeps for 5 hours a day. If i am at home in the afternoons. I can sleep for an hour or 90 mins in the afternoon.

Best Regards,
XXXXX
Answered by Dr. Neeraj Kumar 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Get some sleep and anti-anxiety medications

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX XXXX,
Get some medications for sleep and anxiety for 1-2 months after consulting a neurologist near your place.
This will definitely help you as sleep deprivation may also has ill effects.
Nothing serious as far as reports are concerned.
Dr Neeraj Kumar