Suggest treatment for memory loss problem

Question
hi

i have memory loss issues. How do i daignose what the issue is.
1. i often dont remember somethings ... eg Name of person/ place/ thing etc n then much later would i recall who or what was it.
2. there have been episodes where i have had a lot of alcohol and then i dont remember anything after a point that night. Or i came and slept and then woke up at night and did something which i dont remember or end up sleep walking. All these only after alcohol.

I have an accident and a clot 17 years ago. Never reviewed. Does that have a correlation or needs any review ?

3. I have a flatulation problem. Very high. some times several times in day. What is the way to address it.

4. i also have erection issues specifically with my wife. have had sex with others with no issue but dont get erection with my wife.
Posted Sat, 16 Aug 2014 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Rahul Tawde 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Neuropsychiatric evaluation required

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX
Thanks for posting your concern in the HCM.
My opinion is you have been suffering from adverse effects of alcohol consumption. Not remembering things after having alcohol is due to alcohol amnesia, which is due to acute alcohol intoxication.
Prolonged consumption of large quantities of alcohol also affect the higher cognitive functions including memory. This is manifested as Alcohol-related Dementia (ARD). Another important thing is that you have a past history of intracranial haemorrhage. That may also be a precipitating cause for dementia or memory loss.
A flatulence problem may be due to dyspepsia which again perhaps has been precipitated by heavy alcohol consumption.
Regarding your erectile problem with your wife, I need to ask you whether you have any social problem in your family or any history of family discordance.

My recommendations are-
1. Please consult a neuro-psychiatrist at the earliest to rule out other causes of dementia. He may also help you with deaddiction and help you get treated for ARD.
2. Please stop alcohol consumption under supervision of a neuro-psychiatrist.
3. Please both you and your partner(s) also visit your local STI or ICTC clinic for evaluation regarding any sexually transmitted infection (STI) including HIV.
4. Avoid multiple sexual partners and have condom protection for intercourse.
5. You may need PPI (pantoprazole/omeprazole) and prokinetic (Domperidon/ levosulpride) to treat any gastritis or gastro-esophageal reflux disease precipitated by alcohol.
6. A repeat brain imaging (CT/MRI) should be done for evaluation of your brain, if your neuro-psychiatrist opine.

Hope you are satisfied with my answer. If you think I have satisfactorily resolved your query, please close the thread and rate my answer. If you have any further query related to this, please write back.
In case you have any new query in future, you can directly ask me questions @ http://www.HealthcareMagic.com/doctors/dr-kaushik-sarkar/68460. I will try my level best to help you.