Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

190 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Suggest treatment for memory loss problem

Answered by
Dr. Rahul Tawde

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :1980

Answered : 1 Question

Posted on Mon, 18 Aug 2014 in Brain and Spine
Question: hi

i have memory loss issues. How do i daignose what the issue is.
1. i often dont remember somethings ... eg Name of person/ place/ thing etc n then much later would i recall who or what was it.
2. there have been episodes where i have had a lot of alcohol and then i dont remember anything after a point that night. Or i came and slept and then woke up at night and did something which i dont remember or end up sleep walking. All these only after alcohol.

I have an accident and a clot 17 years ago. Never reviewed. Does that have a correlation or needs any review ?

3. I have a flatulation problem. Very high. some times several times in day. What is the way to address it.

4. i also have erection issues specifically with my wife. have had sex with others with no issue but dont get erection with my wife.
Answered by Dr. Rahul Tawde 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Neuropsychiatric evaluation required

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for posting your concern in the HCM.
My opinion is you have been suffering from adverse effects of alcohol consumption. Not remembering things after having alcohol is due to alcohol amnesia, which is due to acute alcohol intoxication.
Prolonged consumption of large quantities of alcohol also affect the higher cognitive functions including memory. This is manifested as Alcohol-related Dementia (ARD). Another important thing is that you have a past history of intracranial haemorrhage. That may also be a precipitating cause for dementia or memory loss.
A flatulence problem may be due to dyspepsia which again perhaps has been precipitated by heavy alcohol consumption.
Regarding your erectile problem with your wife, I need to ask you whether you have any social problem in your family or any history of family discordance.

My recommendations are-
1. Please consult a neuro-psychiatrist at the earliest to rule out other causes of dementia. He may also help you with deaddiction and help you get treated for ARD.
2. Please stop alcohol consumption under supervision of a neuro-psychiatrist.
3. Please both you and your partner(s) also visit your local STI or ICTC clinic for evaluation regarding any sexually transmitted infection (STI) including HIV.
4. Avoid multiple sexual partners and have condom protection for intercourse.
5. You may need PPI (pantoprazole/omeprazole) and prokinetic (Domperidon/ levosulpride) to treat any gastritis or gastro-esophageal reflux disease precipitated by alcohol.
6. A repeat brain imaging (CT/MRI) should be done for evaluation of your brain, if your neuro-psychiatrist opine.

Hope you are satisfied with my answer. If you think I have satisfactorily resolved your query, please close the thread and rate my answer. If you have any further query related to this, please write back.
In case you have any new query in future, you can directly ask me questions @ I will try my level best to help you.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,   ,   ,   ,  

Recent questions on  Gastritis

doctor1 MD

Hi I have gastritis and am also on concerta but since it has flared up my concerta doesn't seem to be working at all. I get tachycardia early after taking it and dry mouth all day but the concerta doesn't seem to be doing anything. Can the gastritis affect the realease of concerta?

doctor1 MD

hi, last two days i felt hard to breath and felt my heart skipped a beat. and am taking pills for menthural bleeding disorder, am belchinng much, pleas help me to get rid of this gastritis also i want to know is this heart skipp beating is symptom of gastric? is this normal or want to consult a doctor sooner?

doctor1 MD

hai, i am 44 yrs old ht 5.3 weight 56 kgs i have stomach paint on the lining part and on abdominal side. i met gastro entereologist prescribed duspatalin no use reffered for endocopy, result gastritis body and antum prescription is normaxin- rt. and happi-xt shall i continue with this.

pls advice i have kidney stone problem also.

doctor1 MD

Hi Doctor,

I have been suffering from severe loose motion for last 15 years. It is diagnosed as IBS- diarrhoea from last 2 years. And I am continuing with the medication for IBS, but no improvement yet. Everyday I have loose motion 8-10 times. Usually it happens in the morning very frequently.

The stool is watery with mucus. I have gastritis also.

Please guid me in this regard.Please suggest some medicine or specialist.

doctor1 MD

I ve been pretty sick fora week. It began when my GP thought I might have clot in my right leg (swelling, redness , warmth) so she sent me to the hospital for a sonogram. It was negative, but the doctor there wanted me to come back the next day.I...

doctor1 MD

I have a pain on the right side of chest more toward the back. I feel it when I take a deep breath, or cough . and it feels almost like a sore because food brushes against the affected areas as its going down. It feel like irs between the right...

doctor1 MD

Pain on left upper side of chest, out of breath, sweating in cold room, extremely fatigued and acid reflux .