Suggest treatment for memory loss and confusion

Dr. Ajay Panwar

Neurologist

Posted on Tue, 21 Mar 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: Hi
I have been experiencing problems with memory and been having confusion. For example, I made cabbage soup last week and when I went to look for the cabbage to make cabbage soup tonight they told me I made it last week. I don't remember making it at all.

I was in a car accident about 15 months ago and have not experienced the symptoms till recently (that I can remember). Is it possible to have a traumatic brain injury and have problems 15 months later or could this be something else?
Answered by Dr. Ajay Panwar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes.It's possible.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for being on healthcaremagic.com.
I am Dr.Ajay Panwar,a neurologist, here to answer your query.

Yes, its fairly common to have memory issues years later to a traumatic brain injury(TBI).Sometimes, TBI may provoke the onset of dementia.

However, memory loss needs to be objectively assessed by a neurologist.So, I suggest you to get your higher mental functions examined by visiting a neurologist.

MRI Brain,Vitamin B12, Thyroid function tests can help towards establishing the cause, if it turns out to be dementia.

Hope that helps.I shall be glad to have you in follow-up.

Dr.Ajay Panwar,
MD,DM(Neurology)
Follow up: Dr. Ajay Panwar 44 hours later

Thank you for your answers. My follow-up question is will memory and confusion issues show up on an MRI? I played football and I know I had a concussion or 2 also the 2 car accidents I was in where I broke the windshield with my head both times. i was told that they can't tell if you have memory issues sometimes until after they test your brain tissue after death. If this continues to get worse I don't know how I'm going to keep my job and not get fired. Should I be documenting my episodes in case I have to file for SSDI?

Thanks,
XXXX
Answered by Dr. Ajay Panwar 13 hours later
Brief Answer:
MRI will show changes in some diseases.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for being in follow-up.

That's not exactly true what has been told to you. MRI may show changes corresponding to many of the memory disorders.Its just that definite diagnosis can be made only on biopsy of brain or brain histology after death.

However, MRI of brain usually may give pointers towards the reason for memory loss.

Hope that helps.If you have any further questions,I shall be glad to have you in follow-up else please close the thread,rate it and write a review.

Dr.Ajay Panwar,
MD,DM(Neurology)
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj