Suggest treatment for memory impairment when diagnosed with postoperative cognitive dysfunction

Dr. Tushar Kanti Biswas

Posted on Sat, 17 Sep 2016 in Relationship
Question: I am currently struggling with POCD and would like to know what these memories mean? Why do I keep going back to them and worrying? Please help!
Answered by Dr. Tushar Kanti Biswas 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
Postoperative cognitive dysfunction (POCD)

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query. I can understand your concerns.
Postoperative cognitive dysfunction (POCD) is a subtle disorder of thought processes, which may influence isolated domains of cognition such as verbal memory, visual memory, language comprehension, visuospatial abstraction, attention, or concentration .
Usually it is a short-term decline lasting from a few days to a few weeks after surgery .Memory impairment may be anterograde and/or retrograde amnesia
In rare cases, this disorder may persist for several months after major surgery.
It is more common in elderly than in young individuals,particularly in those with pre-existing cognitive dysfunction.
Hypoperfusion or hypoxia of the brain due to the systemic hypotension or blood loss during surgery is the possible underlying mechanism.
Risk factors for POCD:In general, larger and more invasive operations such as abdominal, thoracic, and vascular surgery, present a greater risk than smaller, simpler procedures such as outpatient surgery .
A history of alcohol abuse is also a risk factor for POCD.
The type of anesthesia (general or regional)might not contribute to the development of POCD.
It is also found that well-educated patients experience less POCD after surgery.
Reassurance about the recovery of these disorders in the following months is often helpful.
You are likely to recover .However you haven't mentioned the type of surgery you have undergone.

Dr. T.K. Biswas M.D. XXXXXXX

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Veerisetty Shyamkumar