Suggest treatment for melasma with hyperpigmentation on face

Dr. Mukund Savaskar

General Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 26 Oct 2015 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: In February of this year my skin on my face started to change. Dark spots showing up I went to a dermatologist and she said it was melasma, I have the markings of melasma but overall my whole face is a different colour to the rest of my body more bronzed looking in general. I don't sun XXXXXXX and I've always used sunblock. I had other strange symptoms, after eating meals I would have to take a nap, literally fall right to sleep no choice, and I've had a pain in my left shoulder blade on and off that feels like the connective tissue is pulling, oddly it hurts more though when not in use, actually holding something makes it feel better. I've got red marks under my eyes and I've never had bags under my eyes before. I sleep well, have a normal appetite. In May of this year I found I was urinating ALOT, but that has stopped. The pain in my shoulder hasn't been for a while, but I'm still left with hyperpigmentation spots on my face along with just an overall bronzed look to the whole thing and I get extremely tired after any physical exertion and have to sleep.
Answered by Dr. Mukund Savaskar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Melasma with Hyperpigmentation/ Under Investigation.

Detailed Answer:
Brief Ans-Melasma with Hyperpigmentation/ Under Investigation.

My Impression-Multi-pronged strategy would be needed to treat your Melasma? hyperpigmentation with? Hypothyroidism and diabetes accompanied with Hypothyroidism

Hi,Thanks for your query to HCM.
I studied your query and understood your health concerns.
I reviewed your facts meticulously.You seem to have a very complex symptoms affecting you.

Plan of Investigation-
There are many things to be worked out in your case as follows-
-Get the iron blood levels in blood and skin biopsy- to rule out hemachromatosis,?causing red marks under eyes and left shoulder pain
-Get hypothyroid tests done to rule out hypothyroidism,which is known to associate with hyperpigmentation.
-If you are obese,check with diabetes,as your have postmeal unavoidable naps.So check FBS and PPS with Hb1Ac.

Hope this would resolve your queries a bit.

I await more information and interactions on what exactly you need from this query.

I would asses your further information in the next session,to suggest on the treatment line of your Melasma with Hyperpigmentation.

Primary suggestions for Remedy-
In the meanwhile based on the facts and the possibilities perceived from your query,I suggest following remedies-

2o% Azelaic acid cream with Hydroquinone 4% cream x 2 times a day, would help you
Soyabean extract application locally-reduces the hyperpigmentation by transfer of melanin from melanocytes to skin cells around.
Vit C-to inhibit mealanin production
Cosmetic comoflauge,in disturbing hyperpigmentation to cover up the pigment.

Hope this would recoup the tone of your face and plan treatment with your dermatologist.

Welcome for any further query in this regard.

Awaiting above information and any further query,which could be reviewed in the next interaction session.

Would love to help you out,even though it is very challenging task,in the absence of the above information.

Good Day!!

Dr.Savaskar, XXXXXXX Surgical Specialist
M.S.Genl-CVTS

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Neel Kudchadkar
Follow up: Dr. Mukund Savaskar 24 hours later
Thank you! I'll get these tests done right away
Answered by Dr. Mukund Savaskar 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:

Hi,Thanks for your proactive steps.
Hope this has helped you to satisfy your query.
Keep Me updated soon.
Wishing good health to You.

Will appreciate You,writing your excellent feedback review comments to help the needy patient visitors,like you,at HCM.

Good Day!!

M.S.Genl-CVTS

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T