• question-icon

Suggest treatment for medial meniscus tear in the knee

Posted on Wed, 6 May 2015 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: 6 days ago i had my 4th left knee arthroscopy for a large lateral meniscus tear and a medium size medial meniscus tear. I have OA - that is why so many meniscus tears/arthroscopies. I typically bounce back rather quickly but it is still swollen, still need to walk with cane or walker and still hurts a lot. I can not take nsaids as i have a 14 month non- union L4-5 spinal fusion with instrumentation. I'm 57 yo- bmi 26.2. Im resting- icing every 2 hrs (for 20 min).
Do you think it is hurting more and more swelling because of the multiple surgeries on that knee? (last one was 13 years ago) Any suggestions to reduce the pain? I ran out of the norco surgeon gave me so using oxycodone 5mg every 4-6 hrs (for back - break through pain) tylenol (up to 4gm a day) and using a compound pain cream on my knee (itdered for my back) that has ketamine and around 7 other substances. Ocycodone helps the pain for around 1 hr.
I need to return to work in a couple days. Suggestions?
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Multiple surgeries on that knee is one of the reason .

Detailed Answer:

Multiple surgeries on that knee is one of the reason of hurting more and more swelling.
To reduce pain and swelling best thing is to continue icing and elevate the limb.

For severe pain you can continue taking medicine and applying pain cream as adviced by your norco surgeon.

Start doing physiotherapy under guidence of your physiotherapist. It will help you to return to work early.

I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query.

Dr. Saurabh Gupta

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement