Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
120 Doctors are Online

Suggest treatment for mechanical back pain

Feb 2014
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 5930 Questions
Dear doctor, My mother is suffering from extreme pain in upper middle of the back.Because of this she is unable to lift her arms up ...even lifting a light purse on her arms is difficult for her..she says it feels like a bone pain..vertebra pain...she started experiencing this pain since October last year.Till now we have been applying balm to relieve her pain.Please suggest what is the issue with her and what can we do to help
Posted Mon, 24 Feb 2014 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 58 minutes later
Brief Answer: Your mother might be suffering Mechanical backpain Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for your query. From description it seems your mother might be suffering Mechanical back pain. It is a common medical problem.Mechanical back pain implies the source of pain is in the spine and/or its supporting structure. The surrounding muscles and ligaments may develop reactive spasm and pain. 1. Lie on hard bed 2. Hot water fomentation to back 2-3 times a day and applying a local analgesic gel on the affected area will also help in providing a relief. 3. Physiotherapy - Interferential therapy (IFT) to your back will help you relieve the pain 4. Avoid driving, leaning forward, sitting for prolonged time or lifting heavy weights. These activities can increase your back pain. 5. In addition I also prescribe pain killer with muscle relaxants to my patients when in extreme pain. She can take this combination during severe painful situations. She can start with swimming and mild aerobic exercises. These do help a lot in the back pain. Do adequate warming up before starting the exercises daily. Taking calcium and vitamin D 3 supplements will also help in early recovery. She can get these prescribed from her orthopedician. I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query. Take care
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor