Suggest treatment for mastoiditis

Dr. Mahesh Kumar T S

Dentist, Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery

Posted on Mon, 18 May 2015 in Dental Health
Question: i have a bad tooth that formed a canal with cyst. infection draining into it. now i have ear pressure. worried about mastoiditis. no redness around ear. no fever. My infected tooth doesn't hurt any more. bu do have positional dizziness. couldn't go to doctor or dentis. waiting for new insurance to kick in from new job. ear problem 1-2 months. tooth along time.
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Kumar T S 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
odontogenic cyst, RCT/enucleation, mastoiditis, medication

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your query. I have gone through your query.
As far as the cyst associated with the tooth and pressure in the ear is concerned, these are two separate issues. You need to consult a oral physician and get yourself examined completely to rule out odontogenic cyst. You need to take radiographs like OPG to confirm the diagnosis. If the diagnosis is confirmed as a cyst and the tooth has sufficient crown stucture the tooth can be treated with root canal treatment along with cyst enucleation.
Regarding the ear pressure and positional dizziness, it is not related to tooth infection.it can be secondary to ear infection or mastoiditis. You need to consult a ENT surgeon and get it evaluated.
Mean while for both of these problems you can take a course of antibiotics like amoxycillin and metronidazole (if you are not allergic). This will reduce the infection till you consult the physician.
These are the possible diagnosis and treatment plan based the description of your problem.
if you can upload the images of the tooth in problem, I can give you exact diagnosis and treatment plan.
I hope I have answered your query. If any queries are there reply me back.take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T