Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
195 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

Suggest treatment for mastoiditis

Answered by
Dr. Mahesh Kumar T S

Dentist, Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery

Practicing since :2007

Answered : 3346 Questions

Posted on Mon, 18 May 2015 in Dental Health
Question: i have a bad tooth that formed a canal with cyst. infection draining into it. now i have ear pressure. worried about mastoiditis. no redness around ear. no fever. My infected tooth doesn't hurt any more. bu do have positional dizziness. couldn't go to doctor or dentis. waiting for new insurance to kick in from new job. ear problem 1-2 months. tooth along time.
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Kumar T S 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
odontogenic cyst, RCT/enucleation, mastoiditis, medication

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your query. I have gone through your query.
As far as the cyst associated with the tooth and pressure in the ear is concerned, these are two separate issues. You need to consult a oral physician and get yourself examined completely to rule out odontogenic cyst. You need to take radiographs like OPG to confirm the diagnosis. If the diagnosis is confirmed as a cyst and the tooth has sufficient crown stucture the tooth can be treated with root canal treatment along with cyst enucleation.
Regarding the ear pressure and positional dizziness, it is not related to tooth can be secondary to ear infection or mastoiditis. You need to consult a ENT surgeon and get it evaluated.
Mean while for both of these problems you can take a course of antibiotics like amoxycillin and metronidazole (if you are not allergic). This will reduce the infection till you consult the physician.
These are the possible diagnosis and treatment plan based the description of your problem.
if you can upload the images of the tooth in problem, I can give you exact diagnosis and treatment plan.
I hope I have answered your query. If any queries are there reply me back.take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,  
Medical Procedures

Recent questions on  Ear infection

doctor1 MD

my son was diagnosed with rhabdomayosarcoma in his right testicle in dec 2008. we was 5yrs old. it was stage 1 and had the testicle removed no...

doctor1 MD

I have swollen nasal membranes, pain in the right ear, face pain, pain from the front to the back of my head on the right side and mouth pain. The...

doctor1 MD

My son was diagnosised withmono about three weeks ago. He had an ear infection also, and it was treated with cipro antibiotic. He now is feeling...

doctor1 MD

my16 yr old niece has had chronic ear infections, 2 sets of tubes, and for the past year or two, a skin like substance that grows on the eardrum...

doctor1 MD

I’ve been experiencing severe vaginal itching . Internal and external. Also, little white pieces of discharge in and out of my vagina. started...

doctor1 MD

I recently finished 10 days of antibiotics for a sinus/nasal cold/bug. I still have limited sense of smell and appetite and reduced hearing. I...

doctor1 MD

I have an ear infection ( otitis external) I was put on pain meds ibuprofen 800mg and an antibiotic, ciprofloxacin , but I cannot sleep is there...