• question-icon

Suggest treatment for male hypogonadism

Posted on Fri, 21 Jul 2017 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: I was diagnosed with hypogonadism recently. From what I understand going on testosterone can make it hard to have children? So lets say I get my testosterone levels back to normal after a couple of years and go off testosterone would that increase the chance of having kids?
Answered by Dr. Elona Xhardo 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes, it is possible.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
I have gone through your question.
I can understand your concern.

Treatment for male hypogonadism depends on the cause and whether you're concerned about fertility.

For hypogonadism caused by testicular failure, it is recommended to use testosterone replacement therapy, or TRT.

TRT can restore muscle strength and prevent bone loss. In addition, men receiving TRT may experience an increase in energy, sex drive, erectile function and sense of well-being.

If a pituitary problem is a cause, pituitary hormones may stimulate sperm production and restore fertility.(Pulsatile LHRH or gonadotropin therapy can induce fertility in individuals with hypogonadotropic hypogonadism.)

My answer for you is: Yes, it is true. TRT can suppress the hypothalamic-pituitary-gonadal (HPG) axis resulting in diminution of spermatogenesis.

So, it can be difficult to have children during this therapy.

At the other time, a lot of studies show that cessation of TRT use may result in spontaneous recovery of normal spermatogenesis in a reasonable number of patients if allowed sufficient time for recovery.

Anyway, my advice for you is to consult a reproductive endocrinologist or urologist and explore with them your fertility options.

Hope this is helpful.
If you have other doubts, feel free and ask.
Best regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Elona Xhardo

Endocrinologist