• question-icon

    Suggest treatment for male hypogonadism

Posted on Fri, 21 Jul 2017 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: I was diagnosed with hypogonadism recently. From what I understand going on testosterone can make it hard to have children? So lets say I get my testosterone levels back to normal after a couple of years and go off testosterone would that increase the chance of having kids?
Answered by Dr. Elona Xhardo 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes, it is possible.

Detailed Answer:
I have gone through your question.
I can understand your concern.

Treatment for male hypogonadism depends on the cause and whether you're concerned about fertility.

For hypogonadism caused by testicular failure, it is recommended to use testosterone replacement therapy, or TRT.

TRT can restore muscle strength and prevent bone loss. In addition, men receiving TRT may experience an increase in energy, sex drive, erectile function and sense of well-being.

If a pituitary problem is a cause, pituitary hormones may stimulate sperm production and restore fertility.(Pulsatile LHRH or gonadotropin therapy can induce fertility in individuals with hypogonadotropic hypogonadism.)

My answer for you is: Yes, it is true. TRT can suppress the hypothalamic-pituitary-gonadal (HPG) axis resulting in diminution of spermatogenesis.

So, it can be difficult to have children during this therapy.

At the other time, a lot of studies show that cessation of TRT use may result in spontaneous recovery of normal spermatogenesis in a reasonable number of patients if allowed sufficient time for recovery.

Anyway, my advice for you is to consult a reproductive endocrinologist or urologist and explore with them your fertility options.

Hope this is helpful.
If you have other doubts, feel free and ask.
Best regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Answered by
Dr. Elona Xhardo


Practicing since :2008

Answered : 814 Questions


The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on

Recent questions on  Male hypogonadism

doctor1 MD

I have a mild shooting pain from my pelvis to my left testicle. it comes and goes what can this be? I take adderall and Abilify .

doctor1 MD

Dear Doctor, I have the following questions, I do hope you would not mind answering those questions without getting rhetoric. How a testosterone...

doctor1 MD

I have had several symptoms for years. Primarily severe fatigue, concentration difficulty, brain fog, speech difficulties, and weight gain. 6...

Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties

154 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM Blog Questions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction
Questions Answered By Dr. Elona Xhardo
  • Q - Suggest treatment for extreme fatigue and cough

  • Q - How to transform from a male to a female?

  • Q - What causes nausea, headache and low basal body temperature?

  • Q - Suggest treatment for symptoms of peripheral neuropathy

  • Q - Suggest treatment for severe hair loss while treating hypothyroidism

  • Q - Does intake of Omeprazole have an effect on Insulin secretion?

  • Q - Suggest treatment for water retention and edema

  • Q - Does Metformin interact with Glipizide?

  • Q - Is honey a good substitute for sugar while having diabetes?

  • Q - Is TPO antibody level of 1,189 a cause for concern?