Suggest treatment for malaria

Dr. Ivo Ditah

Posted on Mon, 4 Jul 2016 in Infections
Question: What is the best treatment for malaria? My friend is in XXXXXXX and has malaria. Can he get back to the USA
Before completely well
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 44 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Coartem!!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about this diagnosis of malaria. The best thing to do is to get your friend treated right there in XXXXXXX That is where all the drugs and experts to handle this condition are. If your friend can eat and drink normally, then Coartem tablets, 4tablets in the morning and four tablets in the evening for 3days is enough. If he is very sick, 1day IV treatment with Artesunate IV followed by Coartem is the way to go. After treatment, he should take prophylaxis: 100mg of doxycycline daily is good enough. Other include mefloquine and Malarone.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Feel free to ask for more information and clarifications if need be. Above all, thanks for using our services.