question-icon

Suggest treatment for malaise, nausea, moderate diarrhea and sore throat

Posted on Fri, 9 Apr 2021
Question: Ok. I’m a psychiatrist so not completely ignorant but unsure what I have.
Acute illness with severe HA and fever after spending 32 hours in an airport on May 16, exposure to two daycare toddlers and ticks in Maine from May 19-22. One week history of malaise, nausea, moderate diarrhea, HA, sore throat ( I also have hay fever). WBC 11 with 78% segs. Elevated wbc. Mildly elevated BP. My only temp was taken several days ago and 95.4 at home. I was started on doxycycline today and ESR and Lyme profile ordered, plus repeat CBC. What do you think? I live in SE Ohio. 63 yo. Generally
good health.
Answered by Dr. Dr.Dorina Gurabardhi (44 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
It is an infection based on WBC, the symptoms lead to malaria infection

Detailed Answer:

It is of course an infection based on WBC level.
The symptoms seem to be related to malaria infection. As I know there is a risk of malaria in different parts of Malaysia.
I don't know If you have done the prophylaxis of malaria before your trip.
So,I would suggest :

-a rapid diagnostic test for malaria to detect the antigen
-blood test to check for anemia

Hope my answer was helpful.
If you have further queries feel free to contact me again.
Kind regards!
Dr.Dorina Gurabardhi
General &Family Physician
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Dr.Dorina Gurabardhi