Suggest treatment for major depressive disorder in a diabetic

Dr. Ashok Kumar

Psychiatrist

Posted on Mon, 29 Aug 2016 in Mental Health
Question: Doctor,

My mother was diagnosed with major depressive disorder 2 years ago. She is on Mirtaz 15 mg 0-0-1, D-Veniz 50 mg 1-0-1, Sizodon 0.5 mg 1-0-1, Buspin 10 mg SOS. Her other complications include diabetes, osteoporosis, scoliosis, hypertension and hypothyroidism and is bedridden. She has now gets into of not sleeping continuously for 2 days and then sleeping continuously for the next 2 days in a cycle. During her sleepless periods she keeps chanting and calling out continuously nonstop. We try to control panic with Buspin. Kindly advise as it is difficult to visit a clinic/hospital due to her bedridden state.
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It seems she is having delirium

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for using Healthcaremagic.

I read your query and understand your concerns.

From the available description it appears that your mother is currently suffering with delirium which is generally characterized by two or more of the following

Reversal or disturbance of sleep wake cycle
Seeing objects that are not present like insects, deceased persons and many more
Confusion toward time, place and surrounding persons
Sometime patients remains ok while other times get disturbed (fluctuating course)
Inattention
Shouting

Having said this delirium is kind of medical emergency and should not be taken lightly.

Although there are many causes for delirium but excessive medication could be one reason. I feel there is need to reduce medication rather than prescribing new medication. I do not think you should give buskin in this way as this is likely to complicate problem rather than helping her.

I request you to see a geriatric specialist in your city without delay.

I hope this helps you.
If you have more questions feel free to write back to me.
Thanks and regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Veerisetty Shyamkumar
Follow up: Dr. Ashok Kumar 24 hours later
Thank you doctor. I will try to consult a geriatrist. If you can give me a reference to a geriatric psychiatrist, it would be helpful. I will go show her reports and relate the issues so I can get a new prescription. If you can do that for me, it would be helpful. I'll reduce use of Buspin immediately.

Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
I am sorry

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for reverting back to me.

The website policy is not to name a doctor or hospital when you refer a patient. I am sorry to say that website policy do not allow me to name a doctor or hospital.

Considering her delirium you can see a geriatric medicine specialist if available in your city.In case that option is not available see a psychiatrist as there is need for proper evaluation of patient.

I hope this clarifies.
If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you.
If not, you may close the discussion and if possible you may rate the answer for my future patients.
I Request you to use the following link while posting a query related to my speciality so it reaches directly to me:
http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/doctors/dr-ashok-kumar/67386
Thanks and regards.