• question-icon

Suggest treatment for major depression

Posted on Tue, 31 May 2016 in Mental Health
Question: Hello dear doctor, i think i got very major depression from long time but recently it become very badly
i dont have any self confidence when i talk with any girls in real life and i shy to talk in public
i just came back from a traveling but even this traveling did not made me feel good
i feel so alone and i feel like im so rejectable person, im loosing my friends because of acting aggressive with them
i shy to go outside of home i think people will laugh at me while im ok, im just tired to do anything in life
and recently i think about killing myself because of being alone and rejectable person, im 23 but still cry sometimes
like a baby and even when i talk to anyone its like a child is talking to them please help me doctor because of this mood
everynight i take a 20 ml propranol pills only to sleep, i never had sex in my life and i think im a very useless person that no body like him.
i dont enjoy any foods and i tell to family dont take food for me please help me.
Answered by Dr. Chintan Solanki 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
your depression can be treated

Detailed Answer:
Hello Young man,

Thanks for writing to us. I can understand your feelings and concern.

Yes your problem is likely major depression. It is very common psychiatric disorder and luckily it is absolutely treatable.

Treatment of depression includes both medicines and psychotherapy.

In psychotherapy I prefer cognitive behavior therapy (CBT).In mild cases only CBT is sufficient. In moderate to severe cases initially medicines and then CBT is added. And later on medicines stopped gradually.
In your case at present medicines are must.

In medicines SSRI group of drugs (fluoxetine, paroxetine, sertraline, escitalopram) are main stay of the treatment. There are other group of drugs as well with different mechanism and excellent results.
Benzodiazepines group of drugs (clonazeapm, lorazepam or etizolam) are used initially for short duration for fast symptomatic relief.

In my opinion you must consult psychiatrist without hesitation as soon as possible. Earlier the treatment starts better the results.

I request you not to take any step which can harm yourself. Life is precious and you are young man who can do many things for family and society. Give yourself sometime for treatment.

Propranolol is beta blocker drug and not useful for sleep problem. It helps in anxiety.

Hope I have answered your query, I will be happy to help further.
Dr.Chintan Solanki.

Follow up: Dr. Chintan Solanki 32 minutes later
Thanks doctor, im crying badly while i texting to you, i will do all the steps you told me and i feel very very alone in life right now and i feel no one care about me and im a bad person which everybody hates him, also to add that i live with my mother and father as my sister married and im now alone, also my mother and father had a very major depression before and time to time i have to take my mother to doctor because she gets major depression too, i also had very bad childhood as my father treated me badly i think all of these stresses and not having self confidence is because of my father, please if you can tell me what pills to take for tonight at least i can sleep and get away of all this thinking in my head that killing me. thanks
Answered by Dr. Chintan Solanki 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
take a cup of warm milk, medicines I suggest requires prescription

Detailed Answer:
Dear Man,

I can understand your pain. It is really difficult to pass such bad period with easiness. But believe me you can be treated. You need psychodynamic therapy also to clear your conflict of childhood bad memories. You can have self-confidence with proper counseling.

If I were your treating doctor I would recommend zolpidem or clonazepam for a while to get good sleep but these are prescription medicines and you won’t get either without prescription. However many of my patients get good sleep by taking a cup of warm milk before going to bed. You can try the same if you cannot get prescription from local doctor.

Dr. Chintan Solanki

Psychiatrist