• question-icon

Suggest treatment for lymphocytic colitis

Posted on Mon, 7 Aug 2017 in General Health
Question: MY SPOUSE HAS LYMPHOCITIC COLITIS AND HAS TRIED A SAMPLE OF MARJUANA IN LIQUID FORM.
THE APPLICATOR IS USED TO PLACE A SMALL AMOUNT UNDER HER TONGUE AND APPEARS TO HELP.
sHE'S SLEEPING LATE AND ALSO WONDERS IF THIS MEDICATION IS RESPONSIBLE
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 39 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Thesis not a documented side effect of marijuana.

Detailed Answer:

I have reviewed your information fully and the drug marijuana. Sleeping difficulties is not a documented side effect of marijuana. Did this just start after she started taking marijuana or it just got worse? Also, how late does she go to bed and on average how many hours does she sleep at night? Does she take a nap during the day?

Hope to hear from you on this and more information and guidance would follow suite.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Chobufo Ditah 21 hours later
I have chronic lymphocytic colitis. I am taking the generic form of Endocort-Budesonide 3 mg twice a day. I also take Topiramate 150 mg (at night) for neuropathy in both feet-etiology unknown. I know this causes drowziness which is why I take it at night. And while in hospital after suffering a mild heart attack, they put me on this generic statin--Atorvastatin 40 mg even though my chlosterol is within normal range.
I go to bed around mid-night and sleep on average 8-9 hours a night getting up once to urinate.
My colitis was not be controlled with the Endocort and a friend gave me the medical Marijuana oil. I tried it and the flare ups reduced significantly plus the stools were not as watery. I have an appt. with my gastro guy to get a script for it. But I've noticed that I sleep even more since taking it--sometimes 10-11 hours. I also take 125 mg of Zolfoft as I am depressed. The colitis has interfered with out lifestyle causing many cancellations of trips. After flare ups in the morning, I am exhausted. Now with the MJ, I only have 2, so the rest of the day I am ok but am still very careful. I wear Depends all the time.
Diane Leech
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 14 hours later
Brief Answer:
Continue with the marijuana and let’ see how it turns out!

Detailed Answer:

These sleep changes are not typical of medical marijuana. Because of the reported benefits, I will suggest that you continue with this and let’s see if you get better or the excessive sleep continues. I strongly believe this sleeping change is transient and wouldn’t last that long.

Keep me posted about this.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Chobufo Ditah