Suggest treatment for lymph node swelling under collarbone

Dr. Rishi

General Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 20 Oct 2015 in Lump
Question: Hi, a few days ago I noticed a hard under the skin lump that is just under the collar bone on the right side of my neck. Just above it the gland appears swollen or it is a second lump. I have no pain in the throat or chest and thought it might simply be an enlarged collar bone. The left side looks normal. However, I do have developed a raspy throat and occasional dry cough. My MD says it might be an inflamed cartilage or costco-chondritis. I researched this and note that no lumps are associated and generally there is chest pain, the latter which I do not have. What do you think and suggest?
Answered by Dr. Rishi 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
It could be a lymph node swelling or a Lipoma.

Detailed Answer:
Hello Mam,
It could possibly be a lymph node swelling - a mix of a supraclavicular and an infra clavicular node swelling but it is extremely difficult to say without being able to examine you. It could also simply be a Lipoma or a small cyst. The only way to decipher what it could be is to get examined by a Surgeon who would be able to clinically differentiate what it is.
If the examination is equivocal then you could undergo an FNAC test. Fine needle aspiration cytology entails putting a small needle into the lump and aspirating some cells from within and then examining them under a microscope to be able to diagnose what is in the lump. This would be able to give a fair idea of the contents of the lump.
Therefore, please get examined by a Surgeon who would be able to guide you better. If it turns out to be a Lymph node then you should undergo a full breast examination also.
Take care,
Do let me know if there are other queries.
Dr Rishi, New XXXXXXX XXXXXXX