Suggest treatment for lupus while on Methadone and Seroquel

Dr. Shruti Rijhwani

Rheumatologist

Posted on Wed, 15 Mar 2017 in Lupus
Question: My doctor is concerned because my liver enzymes were slightly elevated and I don't drink much at all, having Lupus & being on methadone & several other meds, but now with my applying for life insurance & having to write to down all my medications, I saw that Seroquel should not be taken if you have liver problems! I only take about a half of a 200 mg tablet each night to help with sleep, I'm not bipolar nor do I have mania or schizophrenia, and now I just read I'm not even supposed to break the tablets up at all! And I've been using them for probably 3 years or so now! Could these be aggravating my liver?
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes , there is a possibilty .

Detailed Answer:
Dear Madam,

Thank you for posting your query on HCM.

Well seroquel can also cause your deranged liver function tests but since you have lupus it can also be the culprit . Best way is to stop seroquel and repeat liver functions after 15 days , if they improve its related to drug , if they dont 'them probably its lupus . You can discuss this with your treating doctor and if you have any other query please ask . Also if possible please send me the LFT report .

Take care .

Dr. Shruti
Follow up: Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 34 minutes later
He also mentioned it could be due to the Pravachol 40 mg (statin) used to treat my hereditary slightly elevated cholesterol, because I don't eat unhealthy at all, so I started, on my own, just taking it every other day and am going to ask about either reducing the dosage or switching to another one, but I don't know if that would make a difference?

When you ask for the LFT, do you mean the blood test results or the written report of the ultrasound?

And thank you so much!! :)
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Follows.

Detailed Answer:
Dear Madam,

All drugs can give deranged liver functions but statin for raised cholesterol is less likely to give so . I think it may be seroquel . By LFT i mean liver function tests . Also send your ultrasound report is you have .

Dr. Shruti