• question-icon

Suggest treatment for lung infection

Posted on Mon, 17 Jul 2017 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: I have Emphyzema/COPD, Have been Hospitalizes
d. I now have a lung infection, the Dr has ruled out Phemnomia, my chest is very tight, breathing hard,and have pain in my back and lower chest and Shoulder on left side. I use all breathing treatments. I don't cough up much, when I do It is greenish color. I am waiting on blood count results. Also have been refered to see my Heart Dr.soon. What kind of infection could this be? and I also wonder if copd can turn ito Cancer? My History in Family is High risk. I have been feeling bad for two weeks. Do you have any suggestions? My email: YYYY@YYYY
Answered by Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Possible Diagnosis: Pseudomonas infection

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for trusting HealthcareMagic

I have gone through your question and I understand your concern.
Since you have been coughing up green colored sputum, one of the major concern is pseudomonas infection. It is a bacterial infection commonly attacking hospitalized patients. I understand that you have already been on antibiotics. However, Pseudomonas require its own specific antibiotic therapy.
Since you are experiencing difficulty coughing up ,I also recommend respiratory physiotherapy to help bring up the sputum along with management of COPD.
Chance of lung cancer with COPD is high, especially if you had history of smoking/ current smoker . If you are worried about ling cancer, I would recommend getting a chest Xray and CT scan to rule out the possibility.
I would also like to add that ,it is important to quit smoking if you do so.
Please be advised to follow up with your treating physician to get blood and sputum testing done for possible pseudomonas infection.

Hope this answers your question
Pleaseaddress further questions here
Dr.Lekshmi
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 21 hours later
Thank You for your answer. I will follow up with my Dr.

Is their a certain name of blood test? They drew Blood to check for w/r/count
Brief Answer:
Follow up answer

Detailed Answer:
Hello again,
You're welcome

Blood tests include a complete blood count, Erythrocyte sedimentation rate, metabolic profile to look for dehydration, electrolyte imbalance, and blood culture.

Hope this answers your question
Pleaseaddress further questions here
Dr.Lekshmi
Follow up: Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 39 minutes later
thank you. all for now
Answered by Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You're welcome

Detailed Answer:
And thank you for using HCM for your health query
If you do not need further clarifications, please rate and close this discussion
Regards and wishing you good health
Dr.Lekshmi
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal