Suggest treatment for lung cancer

Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar

Pulmonologist

Posted on Sat, 4 Mar 2017 in Cancer
Question: Dear Sirs,
Recently detected, Lung Cancer, stage IV, NSCC. Presently awaiting mutation analysis to determine the kind of treatment. Reason for stage IV for beeing mestatasized to Adrenal Gland.
Current insurance covered by Kaiser Permanente: My Questions are;
1-Will their results guide to a cheaper treatment within Kaiser to safe cost?
2-Understand must wait mutation test to use Keytruda immunotherapy? What the cost?
If successful how long live expectancy?
3-Should I seek second opinion to rule-out distrust of Kaiser findings? What the cost?
Thank you for your early reply. Regards, XXXXXXX Gomes
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 37 hours later
Brief Answer:
Adrenal metastases are common in NSCC.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your question on Healthcare Magic.
I can understand your concern.

Answer to your 1st question.

Adrenal metastases are common in NSCC of lung. It is part of systemic metastases. There is no specific reason for this.

Answer to your 2nd question.

Mutation analysis will help in specific chemotherapy. I am not sure weather it will be cheap or not but it will definitely be targeted and hence more effective.

Answer to your 3rd question.

Pembrozilumab (keytundra) is very costly and effective in selected cases of NSCC.

Answer to your 4rth question.

Yes, you should definitely take second opinion whenever you are in doubt. There's nothing wrong in it.

Hope I have solved your query. I will be happy to help you further. Wish you good health. Thanks.