Suggest treatment for lumps on jaws

Dr. Mahesh Kumar T S

Dentist, Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery

Posted on Thu, 28 Aug 2014 in Dental Health
Question: 2 little points or lumps in gum of upper jaw. Symmetric left/right. Above what appears to be the top of the last existing molar, #2 on right and I guess #15 on left.(wisdom teeth removed 40 years ago). A third is on left side farther back, where the Wisdom Teeth were. These come from jaw (if they are bone).

These "cones" are about 1 mm diameter under gum, very firm, and project out about 1 mm above the (very firm) gum on top of the upper jawbone there. One in front on left side (above #14) had an apparent "bone flake" in it, where I had an extraction in March. This came out "on its own" in about a week. Still a little painful. The symmetric one on right side is not painful or irritated -- just discovered it when I found the flake sticking out on the left side and checked for symmetry. right. Incipient Tusks ??
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Kumar T S 56 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Exostosis, osteoma, surgical removal

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your query, I have gone through your query.
As far as the bony projections or lumps is concerned, I have two possibilities.
The two similar projections can be exostosis or osteoma, which is benign out growth of the bone. Nothing to worry about these projection since they are harmless, it will not harm you. If it interferes with the routine functioning, then it can be surgically rounded off or excised.
The other projection of the bone near the extraction site of the wisdom tooth can be a left out bony piece during extraction or a sharp bony margin.
Nothing to worry, Consult a oral physician and get a radiograph done to rule out any left out broken bony pieces or any sharp margins of bone near the extraction site, If it is there, then get it removed or rounded off under local anesthesia.
These are the two possibilities which I can give based on your description of the lesion.
If you can upload the images of these projections, then I can give a exact diagnosis.
I hope my answer will help you, take care.
If any queries are there, Reply me back.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D