Suggest treatment for lump under the left ear

Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil

Posted on Mon, 19 Sep 2016 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hi, I noticed a small grape like under the skin right under my left ear directly next to the jaw. I went to see a doctor she said that you have swimmer ear and she gave me an ear drop and antibiotic to use for 10 days. Now, this is the tenth day and I feel my ear has something inside it cause discomfort and the grape like did not go. The grape like does not hurt but it cause somewhat discomfort.

Best, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
explained

Detailed Answer:
Hello and Welcome

I appreciate your concern

Based on your description, it appears to be a lymph node that has enlarged. Your doctor correctly prescribed the antibiotics. Empiric therapy can be given and in most cases the immune response subsides in a week or so with resolution of the lymph node swelling. However, in your case it has persisted. An excisional lymph node biopsy can be advised in consultation with the ENT doctor to rule out any sinister cause for the swelling. The ear should also be re examined post antibiotics and any discharge should be cultured if present.

Wishing you best of health

Thanks

Please consult your doctor before deciding on any further course of action.

For future follow up / correspondence you may ask me directly at the link given below

http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/Funnel?page=askDoctorDirectly&docId=68107

Dr. M.S. Khalil

Follow up: Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 25 minutes later
Is it something serious? When I saw the lump I didn't have any symptoms and nothing hurt me but the doctor said I have swimmer ear.

- Always I have nasal problem if I am not wrong it is sinusitis.
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Explained

Detailed Answer:
Hello again.

Lymph node enlargement that doesn't subside in about two weeks time should be investigated further to rule out any malignant / neoplastic disorder.

If there is associated sinusitis then your doctor may prescribe a b road spectrum antibiotic like moxifloxacin to observe for another 2 weeks.

If the node persists to the same size after the above then a biopsy should be done.

Wishing you best of health

Thanks