Suggest treatment for lump on the thigh

Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon

Posted on Fri, 11 Sep 2015 in General Health
Question: I have a lump in my thigh.
It's not mushy and does not wiggle around. It isn't hard, more like somewhat firmer tissue than the fat that's there but not exactly firm, just firmer.
It's probably the size of an egg yolk on a fried egg(maybe smaller but around there), but can't really see it, just feel it. No pain to touch. Had probably a few months, or at least when I noticed it.
I can feel it better when my leg is bent, but if I stretch it out I gotta try harder to feel it. I'm nervous because it's the thigh and it isn't wobbly or moveable as I e heard. Does this necessarily mean it's cancer? Can a job cancerous fatty Tumor not be mushy and wobbly?
I e made an appointment but want other ideas or opinions.
I'm very nervous.
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Its a benign lipoma. No need to be worried.

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

First of all please do not be nervous. This is not a cancer. We can think about cancerous lump (sarcoma) only if it grows really fast (like in few weeks). Cancerous lump usually appears after some injury.
From your description, this lump is most likely a lipoma or other benign lesion (like a cyst).

I suggest you to have soft tissues ultrasound done. This test allows to determine the nature of such lump. It can be removed due to cosmetic reason.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 28 minutes later
It does make me feel better hearing that.
But everything I read kept saying the lipomas were all wobbly and very mushy.
So you're saying even though mine is not that description, it still can be a lipoma?
Just making sure.
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes,lipoma is still most probable.

Detailed Answer:
Yes, indeed. Lipoma palpable surface can vary depending of its consistency, size, location and skin thickness. If you have thick skin, you may feel it much different than fatty tissue.

Follow up: Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 6 minutes later
Ok thank you, I can breathe now
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 0 minute later
Brief Answer:
You are welcome.

Detailed Answer:
You are welcome.
Follow up: Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 2 hours later
I saw my dr.
He said he feels it's a lipoma.
No tests or anything.
Is that normal? I was surprised at how easily he determined this.
Brief Answer:
Yes, its normal.

Detailed Answer:
Yes, palpation is usually enough for experienced doctor. Ultrasound does not have to be done in such case. You may consult general surgeon and have it removed.
Ok thank you.
We can only trust you guys are right! I sure hope so:)
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 1 minute later
Brief Answer:
You are welcome.

Detailed Answer:
I'sure we are.