Suggest treatment for lump on the shoulder

Dr. Klarida Papaqako

Posted on Wed, 21 Sep 2016 in Lump
Question: I have a lump on top of shoulder where bones connect. been there many years, doctor who saw me then an orthopedist and interest said not to worry.
neck several years back was sore, went to orthopedist again, he referred me to neurogolist, did mri, said i had some degeneration of disks in upper neck, said if it got worse, he could do surgery and fix. nothing done, got better. now my top of shoulder , left side of neck and high up on skull muscles stay sore. trying heating pad, aspirin, when i bend arm toward chest it makes these muscles sore, kind of like a pulled muscle. and when i look downward it can cause soreness too.
just had a virus or something. nurse pract. treated it like it was rocky mtn or lymes disease, took blood came back negative. wonder whether this might explain cause of neck shoulder head soreness.
or maybe has something to do with upper neck disk, or lastly the bump or cyst on my shoulder.
not sure what to do. I am not in unbearable condition, just feel soreness and low grade pain as i have already said.
Answered by Dr. Klarida Papaqako 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Possible muscular pain

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for using HCM to post your question.
I read carefully your question and I understand your concern.

What you are describing seems more like a muscular pain, most probably because of a bad posture, sleeping position, pulled muscle, or also the viral infection you had in recent past.

I don't think its related with the cyst.
Also, from your description doesn't seem being from the disk/ neck nerves, because you would have numbness and tingling sensation.

I would say continue using a pain killer(eg PARACETAMOL 650 mg three times daily after food) regularly for 1-2 week. Stop early if not needed.

Also applying locally an analgesic cream would help. Keep in attention your posture and correct it, if needed. And give it time to heal.

Hope this is helpful.
Let me know if you have other questions or concerns.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Klarida Papaqako 16 hours later
I have not gone to dr for general checkup since 2011. Dr. (Internest) ran blood and battery of other test. He stated my a1c was close to a point where I should monitor it. I did for a while but it usually was within a good range. Also cholesterol was a little high around 190-200. Put me on a statin. It came way down. My brother was a dr and he told me they could be bad for my liver. So I quit doing anything. Most of my physical ailments center around being overweight 5'9 215#. Arthritic stuff aches pains. Nothing bad till this neck thing started. Job depression/money are my biggest problems.
I am on Medicare with supplement.
I don't like to spend on doctors and just tough things out as much as possible. My Dad died at 96. My Mom died at 82 but had ovarian cancer long time.
My question is this: do I really need to watch my vitals do colonoscopy other test to keep me alive for a longer time? Or take a chance?
Answered by Dr. Klarida Papaqako 20 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes,evidences are clear that some labs are better to be done for prevention

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear,

Thank you for your follow-up question.

Evidences are clear that you will need to do some prevention check-ups and labs, because if you prevent these diseases you will save more money then if you will have to treat them.

I read carefully your description. From what you are writing me my recommendation would be:
-- Loosing weight its something most important. See if you can find ways to eat more meals with fruits and vegetable, and substitute the meals who are junk food or greasy foods. Also walking/running/moving for at least 20 min/day 4-5 times/week would help a lot in this. Small changes day by day. These will help control your blood pressure, blood sugar and your cholesterol. So you wont need to do those check-ups often...just once/year will be enough.
-- Colonoscopy its recommended to be done once/10 years if it comes normal the first time. Its not much often, no? And yes, it will help diagnose early the chances of having colon cancer which then will make you spend a lot of money.

So this is it. I know it is difficult to lose weight, but it will help your health a lot. And of course it that its not possible for various reasons, doctors will help you understand on how often you will need to do the check-ups.

Hope this is helpful.

Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng