Suggest treatment for lump on the lower thoracic spine with bruising

Dr. Pradeep Kumar

Pediatrician, Cardiology

Posted on Tue, 6 Oct 2015 in Child Health
Question: My four year old daughter has a small lump on the lower thoracic spine with a purple bruising. It does not hurt her to the touch and she doesn't remember falling or hitting it at all. Are there other things I should be concerned about to look for? Because my father is adopted and we know nothing of his med history and my father in law has cancer, we are always vigilant for cancers. I'm always scared when I see bruising on their spines. I have three small children.
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please upload an image

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for asking on this platform

I can understand your concern.Its always good to be vigilant if there is family history of cancer.
I have few queries
Is there any swelling associated with brusing?
Is there any weakness,pain or abnormal sensation in lower limb?
Is there any urinary or bowel disturbance?
When did you notice the bruise?

Isolated bruise in this area rarely can be a sign of cancer.
Most of the time it is due to unnoticed trauma.I won't get overly worried if there are no other associated symptoms.
I request you to attach an image of the lesion so that I better able to help you out.

Follow up: Dr. Pradeep Kumar 34 minutes later
Unknown if associated with this or not, but my daughter has a heavy congested sounding cough that she has had since being a newborn. She has been tested for cystic fibrosis twice and thankfully negative, but they have yet to determine a cause...she has had chronic bouts of bronchitis and pneumonia every winter and spring..she tires easily but when active she is a mile a minute....her weight is normal amd she is growing on pace with the growth charts, so they haven't been overly concerned.
As for the bruised area itself...I really prefer not to wake her up to get a picture at this moment, but I can best describe it as a soft mushy feeling raised lump about the size of a quarter with three deeper purple bruising spots on it. When I asked if it hurt she said no, and when I asked if she fell or banged her back on anything outside or at the playground she said she didn't remember doing anything to it.
She and her six year old brother have had bruising along the spine throughout their toddler years here and there. Granted they are both full speed ahead when playing, they both are and have always been very easily tired. Both are constantly sick and have been blood tested for blood disorders which would lead to easy bruising.
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Get coagulation profile done

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for follow up

I appreciate your concern regarding the baby.I have gone through the detail history and you have described the swelling very well.
I don't think that this lesion is related to malignancy or respiratory problem.
Respiratory illnesses are very common in early age and in most of the cases it is viral or allergic.
Similarly bruises are also common in this age due to noticed or unnoticed trauma.
But as there is significant history of repeated bruises in both the siblings I would like to get coagulation profile like prothrombin time(PT),activated plasma thrombiplastin time (aPTT),bleeding time and platelet count done to rule out the remote possibility of coagulation disorder.

I would like to observe the swelling as most bruises starts resolving after 5-7 days.If there is rapid increase in size,appearance of any new spontaneous bruise or other significant symptoms consult your pediatrician for clinical evaluation and management accordingly.

I shall be glad to answer if you have any more doubts.
Follow up: Dr. Pradeep Kumar 8 hours later
thank you very much for your time and advice. I will be calling my pediatrician for an apt.
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Happy to help :)

Detailed Answer:
I am happy I could help you even if it was reassurance.
All the best and wishing for good health of all your family.
If needed you can contact me directly.
You may rate the conversation for reference.

Thanks and regards