Suggest treatment for lump on lower lip

Posted on Mon, 15 Jun 2015 in Lump
Question: Two days ago I have spotted a tiny lump in lower lip. Afraid of cancer again!!!!. Please check photo and video. What should I do next ??
Answered by Dr. M Y Shareef 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
No picture attached...

Detailed Answer:
Hi ! Good evening. I am Dr Shareef answering your query.

Although there is no photo/video attached with your question, if I were your doctor, I would go for a clinical examination of the lump in your lip. Many times it could be a simple mucus cyst which might relieve by itself or by aspiration with a thick bored needle if need be and advised by your doctor. You can try uploading pictures / video again.

It is good to be concerned about one's own health, but one should not become frightened or obsessive of cancer for any lump anywhere of only two days duration without a clinical examination by doctor, and related investigations if any. Therefore, I would advise you to get your self examined by your family physician, who after a general examination might refer you to a concerned specialist if he thinks necessary. Till then, I would advise you not to fiddle with this lump either with your fingers or by your teeth which might occur inadvertantly.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. M Y Shareef 28 minutes later
Sir, Please check attached image. Video unable to upload here. But it is very clear in video. So sent it to YYYY@YYYY and asked them to forward you. Iam frankly affected by Cancer phobia from last year because of incident my dad passed away with cancer. So iam concerned about and trying to take precaution steps and lot of anxiety !!!

Planning to take full body cancer screening test soon. Is it advisable for me ?

Waiting for your reply ..
Answered by Dr. M Y Shareef 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Looks like a simple cyst.

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Good eveining. Good to hear from your so soon.

I am sorry to know about your Dad, but all the cancers are not familial excepting for a few. The photo uploaded by you shows a small lump on your lower lip, which to me looks like a simple cyst as stated by me earlier. However, this needs a personal clinical examination by a surgeon in your area.

On the full body cancer screening, this would be indicated only in some of the rare familial cancer syndromes, and also depends on the age of the person and any such cancer specific symptoms. This could be decided by the doctor who would be examining you physically with some related investigations.

At the end, I wold still reiterate on my advise for not developing such phobias which might make you upset all the time. But yes, definitely take precautions and be watchful.

I hope this information would help you in discussing with your family physician/treating doctor in further management of your problem. Please do not hesitate to ask in case of any further doubts.

Thanks for choosing health care magic to clear doubts on your health problems. I wish you an early recovery. Dr Shareef.

Follow up: Dr. M Y Shareef 2 days later
I had spotted small black spot on lower lip. Dentist told I would had ulcer and lost pigmentation. Asked me to take bcomplex for 30 days. Is it true of loosing pigmentation and turns black. Iam worried about melanoma. What are characteristics of melanoma. It causes lump or black skin spreads to lip ?. Pls advise me. Will try to post photo here..

Iam already attached the image. Attaching two more images.. Please check and advise quickly !!!

1. New soft lump
2. Closer look of black skin on lower lip.
Brief Answer:
To me this looks like a benign lesion, but has to be assessed clinically.

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Good evening.

I went through all your pictures. To me without a clinical examiantion, it still looks like a simple cyst, and the blackish pigmentation might not be related to this lump. Many a times some pigmentations do occur in the lip, more frequently in those who smoke or consume any kind of chewable tobacco. These would usually subside of their own, unless there was some kind of chronic irritation like tobacco chewing, smoking, or any kind of ill fitting dentures or wrongly erupted teeth which do not seem to be such in your case. There is no harm in consuming B complex, a drug which is prescribed not infrequently in such depigmentation and it might help. However, I do not consider this to be precursor of a melanoma at this stage. If you are still apprehensive about it, a clinical examiantion by your doctor over there would relieve your apprehension.

Hope this should relieve your anxiety on malignancy and melanoma. Anyways, any such lesion have to be watched and followed up by the treating doctor till relief. Thanks and good luck. Dr Shareef.
Dr. M Y Shareef

General Surgeon