Suggest treatment for lump on crook of elbow

Dr. Chobufo Ditah

Posted on Tue, 19 Aug 2014 in Skin Cancer
Question: I had a small melanoma on my right arm and had it removed 9months ago. Now I've found a lump in the crook of that elbow two days ago. How concerned should I be? I've read a lot online about it and how fast do I need to get to a doctor and which doctor should I see? Thanks!
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Depends on the surgical report!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

If the surgical report states that the melanoma was completely excised, then it is unlikely that this lump is related to the melanoma. However, only a correct examination and may be some testing(biopsy) would be able to define what this lump is.

There is no point in be too concerned. Seeing a doctor is not an emergency but should be done at your earliest convenience. The ideal person to consult is the doctor who carried out the surgery. If you cannot, then your primary care physician would be a good person to start with. He will assess the condition and refer you to other specialists like oncologist or general surgeons if need be.

In all, you should not be too concerned that this is linked to the melanoma as there are several different possible causes of a lump in this area. Get examined for diagnosis and management.

I hope this helps. Thank you so much for using our services and feel free to ask for more information and clarifications if need be. I wish you well.