Suggest treatment for lump on anus

Posted on Tue, 30 Sep 2014 in Constipation
Question: Hello, I can feel a bulge or lump on the right side of my anus when I sit or stand, but if I lie down I can't feel anything there. There isn't any pain or bleeding, my bowel movements are very regular. I went to my ob/gyn a month ago and they didn't find any hemorroids. Sometimes, I have anal itching on that right side though.
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Examination in head-up position.

Detailed Answer:
I can understand when there is difference of opinion.
You are feeling the lump only in the sitting or standing position and the Ob / Gyn must have examined you in the normal lying down position.

I would advise you to consult a Surgeon / Proctologist dealing with anal problems and request him to examine in a head up position ( the table is tilted in such a way that the head end is elevated above the foot end) for the filling of the hemorrhoids to be seen.
If present, He will know the degree and will give treatment accordingly.
Since you have no constipation, pain, bleeding and bowel movements are normal no active treatment may be necessary.
Avoid constipation, sitting or standing for a long time may increase the size and may then need active treatment.

Hemorrhoids do not cause itching. The intestinal infection does.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Answered by
Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon

Practicing since :1984

Answered : 17612 Questions


The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on

Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties

152 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM Blog Questions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction