Suggest treatment for lump in neck

Dr. Archana Verma

Pediatrician

Posted on Mon, 19 Oct 2015 in Child Health
Question: I found this lymp on back of my child neck (please see photo) he is 2 years old, should i worry??
Answered by Dr. Archana Verma 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It seems to be an enlarged lymph node

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to the HCM

I have gone through your question and the attached photograph. Don't worry as it looks like an enlarged lymph node. This may occur due to infection in the area which drains into the node such as scalp, ear, throat etc. It's a common complaint in this age group and usually improves with a short course of antibiotics and antihistaminics.

I would recommend my patients with these complaints the following:

Examine child's body completely for any other such swelling. You need to palpate in axilla, groins, and sides of neck. If there are similar swellings at other places as well then visit a pediatrician for proper clinical examination. If only one lymph node is involved then you may give the following treatment:

1. Syp. Amoxicillin or Augmentin ( antibiotics) for 5 days at recommended doses.
2. Syp. Chlorpheniramine or Benadryl (antihistamine) for 3-5 days if associated with any cough, cold or congestion.
3. Acetaminophen for fever episodes if they occurs.

Hopefully this will help you. I would be happy to help you in any further questions.

Follow up: Dr. Archana Verma 11 minutes later
Is there a chance to be a Lipoma?
Answered by Dr. Archana Verma 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Less likely a lipoma

Detailed Answer:
Hi
It's typical location and appearance is more in favour of enlarged upper cervical lymph node. The possibility of lipoma is unlikely.

Don't worry as it can be easily treated.
Follow up: Dr. Archana Verma 5 hours later
We went to the emergency, can you please check the ultra sound report attached and the list of medications prescribed by the doctor, i trully appreciate your help?!
Answered by Dr. Archana Verma 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Follow the prescription

Detailed Answer:
Hi
I have gone through the prescription and reports. As I told you earlier that it's due to cervical lymph node enlargement and needs antibiotics treatment. So, you may follow the advice given by your pediatrician. It's good.

Follow up: Dr. Archana Verma 10 minutes later
One last question please, i have lost a brother to lymphoma cancer, should i be worried that my son's enlarged node could me related to cancer??
Answered by Dr. Archana Verma 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Do not worry

Detailed Answer:
I am sorry to hear that. But don't worry. The presentation of your child is typical of lymph node enlargement secondary to upper respiratory tract infection.

Lymphomas usually present with multiple lymph node enlargement along with hepatosplenomegaly. So it's highly unlikely cause.

Follow up: Dr. Archana Verma 46 hours later
Hi, a quick follow up question, we found another lymph node in the neck base front side only obvious when he moves his head, is it okay?!
Answered by Dr. Archana Verma 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Complete the course of antibiotics as advised and review

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Less than 0.5 am lymph nodes are normal findings. Even if it's more than that, hopefully it will respond to the treatment he is getting. So, I would recommend a proper clinical examination after the complete treatment to rule out any persistent lymphadenopathy.

He should be fine. Don't worry.