Suggest treatment for lump in lower left area

Dr. Chobufo Ditah

Posted on Thu, 5 Nov 2015 in General Health
Question: Hi,

I have a small lump in the lower left area of my back about the size of a nickel. The reason I found it was because the area had been hurting for about two months. It is a constant ache and when I put pressure on it then it becomes a shooting pain around that area. Initially the doctor told me it felt like it was a knot and to try and get it massaged out. I have been to the massage therapist 3 times now and she says it does not feel like a knot because it is crunchy and it moves. I then proceeded to go back to the doctor and he said it could be a lipoma or a neuro fibroma and he ordered me an ultrasound. The ultrasound came back negative for anything. I know that lipomas and such are not dangerous, my only concern is that whatever this is might be pressing on a nerve and that is what is causing me the pain. It hurts worse when I drive or am sitting down. What steps do I need to take now? Should I get an MRI?
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 39 minutes later
Brief Answer:
If it is very superficial, I recommend it should be removed!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about this lump. My immediate suggestion is that this lump should be removes as it is very superficial and causing severe pains. This will be the best and most straightforward approach. Going forward to do an MRI is not a real solution as we may still need to return to surgery to remove it if even if it were confirmed as a lipoma.

To me, consider surgery to remove the lump and forget about it.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Feel free to ask for more information and clarifications if need be.