question-icon

Suggest treatment for lump in arm

Posted on Tue, 24 Nov 2015
Question: My 1 year old has a strange bulge under his arm and on the side of his pectoral muscle. Its soft and doesnt seem to bother him. When he flexes it gets hard and almoat feels like muscle. He has a great appetite, no signs of infection, fever, or illness of any kind. But the bulge seems to be getting bigger.
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
Take it on a serious note. Visit a doctor and get it evaluated.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone through the description and have checked the attached image. That the bulge is getting bigger concerns me. It is hard to comment on the underlying cause without examining clinically. From the description it seemed that it could be a lipoma (a swelling made of fatty tissue) but then it would have been very unlikely to grow in size. I would insist you to take it on a serious note and to visit a doctor without delay. If the clinical evaluation is inconclusive, a fine needle aspiration or even surgical removal might be necessary. I say these since the possibility of a cancerous growth has to be kept in mind.

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician