Suggest treatment for lumbar spinal stenosis and swelling in ankle
Physiotherapy and muscle relaxants will help.
Thanks for posting your query.
You have disc disease in lumbar spine with spinal stenosis.
It occurs due to repetitive overload or stress to the disc & it increases the risk of disc herniation. The pain in the ankle can be due to arthritic changes in the ankle.
For this condition you have to do stretching & strengthening exercises in which you have to stretch tight muscle & strengthen weakened ones which will alleviate stress on facet joint and disc.
- Maintain optimum body weight,if you are obese
- Avoid lifting heavy weights as it imparts more strain on your back
- Change your daily activities so that you avoid movements that can cause further pain, especially bending forward and lifting as it will worsen the disc protrusion. if you want to bend forwards, do it with your hips and knees flexed.
- Use a lumbosacral back support to stabilize your spinal muscles
- Intermittent pelvic traction might be helpful to cause a regression of the protruded disc
- After the initial pain has subsided, remedial exercises to strengthen the spine are very important to restore normal spinal movements and muscle strength. The main aim of exercise is to encourage mobility, reduce muscle spasm, prevent further deterioration in the muscles and speed recovery. You can consult a physiotherapist for this.
- Use analgesics like advil or aleve and muscle relaxants to relieve pain and muscle spasm, as needed. Vitamin B12 supplements & Pregabalin may be helpful in controlling the neuropathic pain.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- I have mild lumbar spinal stenosis please suggest me
- Dos and donts with lumbar spinal stenosis
- Lumbar spinal stenosis and tremors
- Symptoms of lumbar spinal stenosis
- Disequilibrium complications lumbar spinal stenosis decompression
- Treatment and cure for spinal stenosis
- Having blurred vision can lumbar spinal stenosis affect vision
- Lumbar puncture with spinal stenosis
- Lumbar spinal stenosis and exacerbated by accident
- Is running okay with lumbar spinal stenosis