• question-icon

Suggest treatment for lumbar disc disease

Posted on Wed, 26 Jul 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: I have lower lumbar degenerative discs and would this help my pain, I can not walk w/o a XXXXXXX and I do not know where I can get this done, I have HIP Plus insurance and who would do this proceedure in my area?
Answered by Dr. Neeraj Kumar 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Take treatment as advised and get investigated by a neurologist

Detailed Answer:
I have gone through your question and understand your concern.
Lumbar disc disease is common in this age and causes pain in back and lower limbs.
The treatment includes physiotherapy, medications and surgery.
Regular guided physiotherapy is advisable.
Pain modulator drugs like pregabalin or amitriptyline or gabapentin can be increased depending upon the response.
Pain killers with muscle relaxant like aceclofenac or diclofenac with tizanidine or thiocholchicoside can be taken for acute pain.
Local pain reliever ointment can also be taken.
Avoid stooping forward, lifting heavy objects, sitting crossed leg.
Visit to a neurologist for examination and evaluation.
Hope you found the answer helpful.
Do get back to me for further information.
Dr N Kumar
Neurologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Neeraj Kumar 20 hours later
What is physiotheropy? I have had theropy and it helped for awhile, but not a cure as the pain in lower back is still there. I will see a Neurologist but are you saying this treatment is not for me?
Answered by Dr. Neeraj Kumar 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Visit to a neurologist and continue physiotherapy

Detailed Answer:
Physiotherapy helps in building strength in back muscles which improves the spasm and associated pain. The disc space is increased and compression may reduce too.
Surgery is advisable only if medications are not effective or there is weakness in limbs, Urinary involvement or reflex loss on clinical examination.
Examination by a neurologist or neurosurgeon will be helpful in assessing the true condition at present and likely plan of treatment.
Hope you found the answer helpful.
Wishing you good health and early recovery.
Dr N Kumar
Neurologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Dr. Neeraj Kumar

Neurologist