Owl Image

Suggest treatment for lower stomach pain

Owl Image
Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon

Question
Hello Doctor,

I asked you questions about my lower stomach pain, fever, tiredness, itchy anus and pinching needles in lower abdomen, blood spots in stool and sometimes body itch when i get pinching in lower abdomen more than month before. I told you i had unprotected sex, which made me worry that i got STD. I had hepatitis B test done after 8 weeks which was negative and HIV oral swab test after 3 months which is also negative.
I had stool test done a month before and which showed i have Entamoeba Histolytica parasite. I went to general surgeon and he prescribe me METRONIDAZOLE 500mg, 3 times in a day for 10 days. I already took my medication of nine days in nine days. Only improvement i had is body and anus itch is gone. I still have pain in my stomach and lower abdominal, nausea, body ache and feel like i have fever but i don't have when i check with thermometer.
Is it sign of worry that after 9 days I am not completely fine?
What are the home remedies to make recovery better?
How much time it takes to get rid of my body and i start feeling better?

I have an appointment on 27August, I live in Canada and here medical is very slow. Doctor told me to have another stool test done.

What to do to get rid of this stomach pain and body ache? It's been 3 months and very frustrated and depressed because of this. Please advice me doctor.

Thu, 28 Aug 2014 in Lump

Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Management as outlined, No worry- you will be OK.

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Thanks for your feedback.
To recapitulate: Diagnosed as Amoebiasis and under treatment with very proper dose of Metronidazole - almost completed the course and the effect is that itch has gone- still have pain in stomach and lower abdominal, nausea, body ache and feel like have fever- HIV and Hepatitis is negative.

Please get your stool checked as advised, it may give a further clue.
Now is the time for you to get started on an antibiotic like Cefixime or Ofloxacin to complement so that the secondary infection if the intestine is also taken care of. Add Probiotics and Prebiotics.
You will also be prescribed a dose of Diloxanide Furoate which acts to give the cure of Amoebiasis.

To answer your questions-
Nausea can be due to Metronidazole also- A combination of PPI and Domperidone will take care of this.
The pain in the stomach, body-ache might have been of a bit lesser than before; antibiotic may take care of this. You may take Paracetamol whenever necessary.

Is it sign of worry that after 9 days I am not completely fine? >> yes, it is . This indicated for a further course with an antibiotic and Diloxanide. But should improve well with proper treatment.

What are the home remedies to make recovery better? >> You have to take strictly home-made fresh food. Water should be boiled for minimum of 20 minutes and cooled. Nails should be well pared and hand wash with soap and water whenever necessary - like after going for a motion and before food. You can add home-made curd and take banana, Activated charcoal tablets.

How much time it takes to get rid of my body and i start feeling better? >> It may take 5 to 7 more days to make you further better once you are started on the treatment I have outlined. You have to maintain the home-remedy things as discussed to avoid re-infection.

Yes, I can understand the Medical system in Canada is different. The nest appointment is almost 20 days away.

Please do not be frustrated or depressed, this has a direct negative effect on healing and particularly in cases of intestinal infections.

I hope you have undergone other tests of blood for sugar, typhoid and urine and now going to have repeat stool test. Please post the reports if you have done any of the investigations recently.Further investigations like Colonoscopy / CT scan abdomen etc may be decided if there is no complete relief or on your visit to Gastro.

Please do not worry, the problem of 3 months takes sometime as the healing process takes its own time. Let us concentrate on cure now.

Please feel free to ask any further.
Wishing you an early and complete recovery.