Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
165 Doctors are Online

Suggest treatment for lower limb pain due to disc bulge

Feb 2014
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 5930 Questions
Hi! I'm one of those "medical challenging" patients, so I don't know if there any real answers for me, but....I'll try to condense it as much as I can. For the past 20 years (about) I have been dealing with fibromyalgia, 2 TBI's,sleep disorders, including central sleep apnea, narcolepsy, and chronic fatigue, and chronic low back pain. On T.G., I got blasted with an unbearable pain that went from my right buttock and hip,shooting down my right leg,which is numb with sharp needle pricks in it. An MRI showed a bulging disc that was apparently pinching my sciatic nerve..And now the clincher!....Apparently I don't have any opioid receptors. I can take handfuls of any narcotic at extremely high doses and not have any reaction at all. If I were to have surgery, the doctor said it would only help my right leg symptoms, not the really sharp pain in my right buttock and hip. And then, there would be the problem of pain control for the few days after the surgery. I'm currently am on 900mg of neuron tin , 2 times a day, and I might as well be chewing gum. This just isn't much of a quality of life, plus I can't deal with this intense, non-stop pain much longer. Any suggestions (beside finding a tall bridge?!) Thanks for your input. Sincerely, patti XXXXXXX
Posted Mon, 17 Feb 2014 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 17 hours later
Brief Answer: Go for epidural injections in back. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for your query. If your radiating pain in right lower limb due to disc bulge is not controlled even with narcotic drugs and if you are not the right candidate for surgery, you can go for epidural injections in back for pain control. I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query. Take care
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor