Suggest treatment for lower left back pain while having diabetes

Dr. Shuba Hariprasad

Posted on Tue, 7 Jun 2016 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I am having lower left side back pain that comes and goes for about a week. If I bend or twist the pain becomes worse. I have had kidney stones in the past. I don't have any other symptoms, no fever but urine is dark and smells strong. I did a yeast infection treatment about a week ago.

I did not mention that I am diabetic
Answered by Dr. Shuba Hariprasad 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
UTI, Kidney stones

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for your query.
I'm Dr. Shuba Hariprasad and will be answering your query today.

Based on your query I would primarily like to rule out recurrence of kidney stones & urinary tract infection (UTI)

A yeast infection, in the presence of diabetes can predispose to UTI and kidney stones.

I would like to:
-examine you clinically to look for positive signs of kidney stones and to rule out other pathology (muscle sprain, nerve impingement, joint problems)
-obtain a urine sample for analysis, culture test
-do an ultrasound scan of the abdomen to rule out stones.

Treatment will be based on clinical findings & results of tests.

To try at home :
- continue to have about 3litres of water, unless your have been advised by your doctor to limit water intake.
Adequate Hydration will be indicated by a clear, light colored, not so smelly urine.
-do not take too much pain medications, especially NSAIDS (non steroidal anti inflammatory drug), without consulting your doctor (this may result in kidney damage or gastritis)

Flushing your system, with water will help to dilute urine and may even flush out the stone.
Please consult your physician. Your urine tests may reveal the type of stone (if present) based on the casts present.
Based on this, diet modifications can help to avoid further stone formation.
Make sure, in the future, to hydrate well, especially during an illness & its treatment.

If you have blood (more than few drops) in the urine, or you have severe pain with fever, please visit ER, else see your doctor as soon as you can.
Pain may be suddenly relieved when the stone passes out but you still have to consult your doctor to treat any lingering Infection /inflammation and to rule out more stones.
Hope this helps

Please let me know if there is anything else I can help you with.

If not, please close this discussion and kindly rate my answer.

Wish you good health
Dr. Shuba Hariprasad k
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad