Suggest treatment for lower back pain

Dr. Sudhir Kumar

Neurologist

Posted on Sat, 12 Aug 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: My uncle is 60 years old and he was suffering lower back pain from past 2-3 month. We visited the orthopedic MD and he suggested few medicines for 1-2 month. Even after consuming these medicines and physiotherapy he was suffering good amount of pain. Post that we visited another physician and he suggested to do MRI scan. Scans suggested there is abnormal tissue growth near lower spine. (reports attached)

Post that the physician suggested to visit spine surgeon and as per the surgeon , this tissue growth is cancer related and near nervous system . He told us to visit nuero surgeon .

Summary:

The physician told us that we should get the tumor operated first and then do a biopsy from the tissue taken from the tumor.is it the right way?Any other thing that we are missing that we should do? Please suggest

Current habits: Smoking

Any Existing disease: Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Surgery should be done.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for posting your query.

I am Dr Sudhir Kumar, Neurologist, and would try my best to help you.

I have noted your uncle's reports. There is a tumour at the lower part of spinal cord. He needs surgery preferably to be done by Neurosurgeon. Operation would remove the tumour and the removed tissue can be sent for biopsy. Biopsy will confirm whether it is cancer or benign (not cancer). If it is cancer, further treatment with radiation therapy may be needed.

I sincerely hope my reply has helped you.

I would be pleased to answer, if you have any follow up queries or if you require any further information.

Best wishes,     
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, XXXXXXX
For DIRECT QUERY to me: http://bit.ly/Dr-Sudhir-kumar
My blog: http://bestneurodoctor.blogspot.com/

Follow up: Dr. Sudhir Kumar 31 minutes later
any side effects post surgery
....i mean this is related to nervous system ....is there any possiblity that post surgery may lead to lower body paralysis?? also he is suffering from thalasemia
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 0 minute later
Brief Answer:
The risk of surgery is small.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for getting back.

Surgery is safe, and the risks are small- infection, bleeding or paralysis would occur in less than 5% of cases.

Yes, it is related to nervous system and not ortho (bone).

Best wishes,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)