• question-icon

Suggest treatment for lower back pain

Posted on Mon, 3 Jul 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Suddenly my right big toe and right index finger are numb.The toe feels cold.I'm taking a muscle relaxer,prescribed last week for lower back pain. Male,non smoker,64 yrs old.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Can be Vitamin B12 deficiency.

Detailed Answer:
Many causes of such sensations in the toes and fingers are there. These include injury to the back or spinal cord, Lack of blood supply to the legs as a result of plaque formation in the blood vessels, diabetes, stroke, multiple sclerosis and underactive thyroid. Abnormal levels of calcium, potassium, or sodium in your body and a lack of vitamin B12 can also cause such numbness.

Firstly, I’ll request you to get your blood sugar/HbA1c (glycated hemoglobin) tested to rule out Diabetes mellitus. Also get your thyroid hormones levels evaluated. You can take some vit B12 for some days and see if the symptoms improve.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon