Suggest treatment for lower back pain

Dr. Ahmed Aly Hassan

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Wed, 22 Mar 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I started with this pain in my lower left side above my hip bone 3 weeks ago. I've been to the emergency room 2 weeks ago. They said it was a muscle that is inflame. It got better then I played golf last weekend . It comes and goes as far as the pain. Will this ever go away? Did I damaged it by playing golf last weekend?
Answered by Dr. Ahmed Aly Hassan 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
physiotherapy and spinal straightening exercises have dramatic effect for most of cases .

Detailed Answer:
Hi, I'm Dr Ahmed Aly,
Thanks for asking HealthcareMagic,
I've gone through your question and understand your concerns ..

In my opinion, i think it is a kind of low back pain due to sciatica , it causes such neuropathic pain that comes and goes. Nerve compression of your lumbar neurovascular bundles originating from your spine is the main cause of such pain .

For my patients, I'd advice to begin with painkillers like Advil 200-400mg twice to thrice daily after food for next 2-3 days, hot massages with topical analgesic gels , muscle relaxants , Vit B12 supplementation with some life style modifications .

Try to avoid heavy lifting , vigorous movements , bad sleeping and sitting postures . Physiotherapy , chiropractors , spinal straightening exercises and even yoga are helpful .

If pain persists, i'd suggest MRI of lumbar spine to exclude disc herniation/compression and visit a neurologist for proper evaluation and management of your case .

Wish you good health,
Any further clarifications feel free to ask.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee