Suggest treatment for lower back pain

Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju

Posted on Tue, 26 Aug 2014 in Back Pain
Question: Hello Doctor,

I'm suffering from pack pain:
1. Pain on full back. Heavy pain at lower back and medium pain at center and upper back.
2. More pain at sleeping, medium on sitting and almost nil pain on walking(moving).

Whats the treatment for this doctor?
Answered by Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Further details

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX

I would like to know few more details.
You have mentioned you are having more pain last three days before that
Since when are you having this problem?
Do you feel numbness and tingling sensation in back or legs?
Do you feel stiffness over the back?
Are you having continuous pain while sleeping?
Do you have any history of trauma?Do you get fever?
Have you ever done an x ray?

Kindly get back to me with details I would help you further.

Thank you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju 28 minutes later
Please find my answers as below :

Since when are you having this problem?
past 5 yrs (2 or 3 days in a month, light pain)
No
Do you feel stiffness over the back?
little bit
past 3 days im facing almost continuous pain while sleeping
No
Have you ever done an x ray?
No
Answered by Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju 59 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Advised Paracetamol

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX

Thanks for follow up query.

According to your details Lower back pain mostly could be due postural related or due to muscle spasm.

I would suggest you to take Paracetamol 650 mg(Dolo 650) after food whenever you have pain.
And follow these measures to relieve pain and to prevent any further problems:
1. Keep changing your posture while sleeping.
2. Do not sleep, sit in same position for long time.
3. Hot water bag fomentation it will help you by reducing pain.
4. You can apply topical analgesics like Volini gel for pain.
5. Go for walk before sleep it will relax your body muscles.
6. Follow regular back exercises to relive pain and to improve the strength of your back muscles.
7. Maintain proper posture while working in office or while travelling.
8. Avoid travelling on two wheeler for few days, if any.

If not improved after 5 days despite of aforementioned measures then I would suggest you visit an Orthopedic doctor for clinical examination and investigations like X ray of L-S spine. If doctor found any thing abnormal, doctor would go for MRI spine and plan treatment as per diagnosis.

If nothing abnormal has been found doctor would suggest you muscle relaxants and spine exercises. Physiotherapy will help you in relieving your pain, discuss about this with doctor once you have diagnosed.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any queries I will be happy to help you.
If you do not any queries you can close the discussion and rate the answer if possible.
Thank you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari