Suggest treatment for lower back pain while on Aspirin

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist

Posted on Mon, 20 Mar 2017 in General Health
Question: Last night I had lower back pain on the left side and a strange feeling of needle pokes in the lower portion of my body just below my breasts. I took a low dose aspirin and sat up for over a hour. This has happen several times in the last few days. What else can I do until I can see my primary doctor. It is driving my crazy.
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
I would recommend as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome back on HCM!

I am glad to hear from you again!

Regarding your concern, I would explain that your symptoms do not seem to be related to any cardiac disorder.

The pain in this region and the needle pokes in the lower portion of your body could be related to different causes:

- irritable bowel syndrome (especially considering the fact that you have removed your gall bladder).
- a musculo-skeletal pain (related to a wrong position during staying or chronic degeneration of the vertebral column)
- a kidney disorder (like left kidney stones or an infection)
- an electrolyte imbalance.

For this reason, I do not think that the low dose aspirin (used as anti-platelet agent) is going to help.

I would recommend trying ibuprofen for the pain, if it reoccurs. It is helpful against musculo-skeletal pain. But, if it doesn't help, I would recommend taking an antispasmodic drug like Buscopan or Anaspaz. If they help, it would indicate irritable bowel syndrome.

You should know that after gall bladder removal the biliary acids metabolism and their production is not like before (because their natural deposit has been removed). For this reason, irritable bowel syndrome or dyspepsia can occur, leading to pain under breasts or abdominal discomfort time after time.

From the other hand, thyroid dysfunction can trigger irritable bowel syndrome.

An electrolyte imbalance can also lead in bowel movement disorder and pain.

Considering the location of the pain, a kidney disorder cannot be excluded either.

Coming to this point, if the problem persists or reoccurs and the above mentioned drugs do not help, I would recommend performing an abdominal ultrasound and some lab tests:

- complete blood count
- blood electrolytes
- an urine analysis.

Hope you will find this answer helpful!

I remain at your disposal whenever you have any other questions.

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri