Suggest treatment for lower back pain, puffy eyelids and dark circles under the eye

Dr. Geeta Sundar

Posted on Thu, 2 Mar 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Hello. My sister woke up with lower back pain that is radiating towards the front, and puffy eyelids and dark circles under her eyes. Plus for the last few nights she has been getting up 3 or 4 times a night to urinate. What could this be? She has an appointment with her doctor in about an hour.
YYYY@YYYY

She has been diabetic, on metformin, for about 5 years. She has lost weight intentionally over the last 9 months.
Answered by Dr. Geeta Sundar 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
I would like to first rule out a kidney problem.

Detailed Answer:
Hi welcome to Health care magic,

Since your sister is a Diabetic, with puffy eyelids, frequency of urination, and back to front pain, I would like to first rule out a kidney problem.

Since you already have an appointment with your doctor he will try to rule this out.

Significant loss of weight in a Diabetic even if with intentional effort should always be investigated.

You can revert back after the doctor's visit with further queries/inputs.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D