Suggest treatment for lower back pain and leg pain after an accident

Posted on Tue, 17 Jun 2014 in Back Pain
Question: In 1990 i had three fractured vertebrae in my back from a car accident...now i wake up with pain in my left leg and low back....I take a pain pill and manage to walk around the mall daily..(very slow) but i do walk......I was wondering if physical therapy would help me at my age (82) and what kind.....I had a double py-pass in 2001 and just wondering if a Doctor will approve a script for physical therapy
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes, physical therapy would help you.

Detailed Answer:

All the symptoms in your description typically suggests a Lumbar disc disease with radiculopathy.

The initial method of management for Lumbar disc disease with radiculopathy is always by conservative (nonsurgical) methods, which is as follows -

- Usually 1-2 days of bed rest will calm severe back pain. Do not stay off your feet for longer, though.
- Maintain optimum body weight,if you are obese
- Avoid lifting heavy weights as it imparts more strain on your back
- Change your daily activities so that you avoid movements that can cause further pain, especially bending forward and lifting as it will worsen the disc protrusion. if you want to bend forwards, do it with your hips and knees flexed.
- Use a lumbosacral back support to stabilize your spinal muscles
- Intermittent pelvic traction might be helpful to cause a regression of the protruded disc
- After the initial pain has subsided, remedial exercises to strengthen the spine are very important to restore normal spinal movements and muscle strength. The main aim of exercise is to encourage mobility, reduce muscle spasm, prevent further deterioration in the muscles and speed recovery.
- Physical therapy like short wave diathermy and interferential therapy will give quick relief
- Use analgesics like advil or aleve and muscle relaxants to relieve pain and muscle spasm, as needed. Vitamin B12 supplements & Pregabalin may be helpful in controlling the neuropathic pain.

I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query.

Dr. Saurabh Gupta

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement