Suggest treatment for lower back pain and hard bowel movements

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

Posted on Thu, 30 Mar 2017 in Lump
Question: hi I have had a few very hard bowel movements and it gotten a little better but then I started to feel pain in my lower back for the last week does this sound like a kidney problem I am a little scared.
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Information

Detailed Answer:

Pain in the low back can be from a number of problems. It would be best for you to go in to be seen if it persists or if it is intense. I'll tell you about some of the things that can present as lower back pain.

The most common cause is a muscle strain. This will usually cause something of a cramping type pain and will usually be worse when the back and limbs are in different positions because of use of the particular strained muscle.

Kidney stones and kidney infection (pyelonephritis) usually cause an aching or stabbing pain in the flanks - in the area behind the waist. Sometimes it feels like low back pain. A kidney infection will usually also have fever and often nausea. Kidney stone pain is rather bad pain typically and the main symptom is just pain - not fever, etc.

Constipation can also cause aching in the low back.

Depending on what associated symptoms you have can help guide what is wrong and what to do. If you are concerned that this could be associated with your kidneys, go in to an urgent care clinic or your doctor where they can examine you and can get a urinalysis and possibly a urine culture. If the area is reflective of possibly being your kidneys, they might order an X-ray (can show certain types of stones that have calcium in them) or ultrasound.

I hope this information helps. Please let me know if I can provide further information.