• question-icon

Suggest treatment for lower back pain and dizziness

Posted on Wed, 12 Jul 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Respected Sir,
I am a patient of low back pain for the last 14 years. I have visited so may orthopaedic surgeons for my treatment. According to doctors my back pain is not very serious in nature and i will be relieved from pain by taking back care exercise and pelvic traction etc. However, as per doctors advised whenever i do back care exercises or have taken pelvic traction under the supervision of physiotherapist, i suffered from dizziness, vomiting and headache. In this condition whenever i try to move my head i feel strong dizziness and vomiting tendency.This symptoms remains for two to three days and then slow down. I have to take bed rest each times i do exercise, take pelvic traction or do some heavy work. Further, i find swelling on my forehead at the time of my physical activities. One other symptoms i would like to discuss that i feel like dizziness in normal condition too, when i try to see moving trains, buses and any fast moving object. During the course of treatment various tests- CT scan of CRANIUM, brain mapping, Xray of Cervical were conducted, but all reports are quite normal. I have no past history of head injury. One doctor on healthcare magic suggested me to visit ENT specialist. He is suspecting that I am suffering from Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV) and he has suggest Caloric testing Audiometry and videonystagmography (VNG)-To check functions of labyrint. According to him, dizziness, vomiting, nausea and headache can be related to Vestibular migraine or Meniere's syndrome. I am attaching my reports.
Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 57 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Vertigo

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to Healthcare Magic and thanks for putting up the query
Your MRI report shows disc protrusion at L5 S1 level .This might be the cause for your back pain and vertigo on traction. I would advise you to consult a neurosurgeon as spinal reaction is causing dizziness. You should avoid any physiotherapy.
Vertigo on seeing a fast moving objects is a normal phenomenon called oscillatory vertigo and happens with everyone.
You should get MRI cervical spine done and vertigo assessment done.
Please tell me do you have any dizziness when you turn your head in a particular direction?
Any dizziness on suddenly looking backwards by turning neck?
FOllow up with the required information so that I can suggest you better.
Thanks and regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 17 hours later
Hi, I have provided some attachments. Please review them.
Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Vertigo

Detailed Answer:
Hi
I have seen the report attached. This report also suggests disc disease at L5 level. Whether this can be managed without surgery or not can Only be said with certainty on examination. my advise is you should get yourself examined by a neurosurgeon or a neurologist. You should avoid any physiotherapy till you get a visit a neurosurgeon as in advanced cases it can prove harmful.
You are always welcome with any further questions.
Thanks and regards
Follow up: Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 2 hours later
Thank you madam for your attention towards my problem. There was disc protrusion at L5-S1 in MRI report conducted in 2004. However, in 2015 there was no disc protrusion at L5-S1 level in Scan report. As I have earlier wrote that i have visited so many arthopaedic doctor as well as neuro surgeon but all the doctors have said that this is a common problem which can be cured by back care exercise and pelvic traction. Further, doctors were also surprised that i got dizziness and vomiting tendency whenever, i tried back care exercise or pelvic action. Doctors said that dizziness and vomiting tendency may be due to some other problems whether it may be abdomen or ear related problems. Because, in back pain cases as i have, these symptoms are not seen in other patients who have severe disc protrusion than me. Only then i post my question on healthcare magic where doctor suggests me to visit an ENT specialist. As your query regarding type of dizziness, i want to share that in case of exercise, pelvic traction and other heavy work, I feel dizziness while I move my head in any position. When I keep my head still, I do not feel dizziness. In normal case, I do not feel dizziness while moving my head in backward direction or turning my neck. Please advice me what to do next for cure of my problem.
Thanks & Regards.
Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Vertigo

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for the information
As you are saying you currently have no disc problem and the dizziness occurs on head turning only than it is positional vertigo.
Youshould get calorie test done and you should visit an ENT SPECIALIST and get Epleys manoeuvre done. This helps in BPPV.
Take tablet betahistine 8mg thrice daily for a week.
Avoid driving and sudden head turning rather turn the upper body.
You can ask visit an ENT SPECIALIST and learn vertigo exercises which prove very useful in such cases.
All the medicines I have prescribed will be available at prescription only.
Any further questions are always welcome.
Thanks and regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal

ENT Specialist