Suggest treatment for lower back pain and cramps after child birth

Dr. Sameer Kumar

OB and GYN Specialist

Posted on Thu, 22 Sep 2016 in Women's Health
Question: I'm 22 years and 7months postpartum and since 1 month after giving birth I started having cramps like period and low back pain and now that I'm 7montha pp I still have pain. I got my period at 4months pp. I went to see 2 gynecologist who performed vaginal ultrasound and told me that everything looks normal and the can't see anything I even had a Pap smear test which came back normal. I had a UTI but I got treated for it so the pain is not from a UTI. I'm really concerned that it would be anything like a ovarian cancer I had a CT scan for KUB without contrast which everything looked normal to. What I'm I supposed to do now ?
Answered by Dr. Sameer Kumar 46 minutes later
Brief Answer:
PMS OR PROLACTIN INDUCED CRAMPS

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the query to HCM,
AS YOU ARE 7 MONTHS post partum and likely breast feeding, the present uterine cramps and low back pain can easily be due to high prolactin levels due to breast feeding, especially noticed when child is suckling on breasts. The other possible causes of an adnexal mass, ovarian cyst, broad ligament hematoma, fibroid, UTI, or PID have been ruled out with a USG and a ct scan, so this seems to be the likely cause. You may use NSAIDS and hot fomentation to soothe the pain.
Please watch as to when do you exactly experience pains. If they are associated with your menses, then they are part of PMS symptoms and need just symptomatic management.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Veerisetty Shyamkumar
Follow up: Dr. Sameer Kumar 2 hours later
Actully doctor i can feel them most of the times and i feel that they are not related to when i breastfeed its more like a pain rather than a cramp sometimes feels like period pain it gets more intense if i carry my baby or if i go up the stairs
Answered by Dr. Sameer Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
answered

Detailed Answer:
The pain may be due to uterosacral ligament laxity or poor lower abdominal tone . I feel you need to start some lower abdominal exercises and also KEGEL'S EXERCISES to tone your perineal muscles. Pain increasing on lifting baby means that pain occurs on increased intra-abdominal pressure which indicates ligament laxity persisting and possible poor abdominal tone. In the meantime pain can be controlled with NSAIDS and hot fomentation.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng