• question-icon

Suggest treatment for lower back and pelvic pain

Posted on Fri, 4 Aug 2017 in Infections
Question: Ive become septic 3 times in the past year. It begins with low back pain, bloated/tender stomach, low pelvic pain, frequent/incomplete/weak urination and vaginal burning. Urine tests show no infection (UTI) yet Im getting ready for a central line.
Answered by Dr. Monika Dede 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please see the detailed answer below.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you writing in healthcare magic.

Based on your history I suggest to do an abdominal ultrasound, PCR of urine for TB, and vaginal culture test.
Please could you tell me do you have fever during this time, and how many days do you have these symptoms.

I hope my answer helps you.
Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Monika Dede 19 minutes later
Hello Dr. Dede:
3 times in 10 months I did not get to the doctor and take antibiotic fast enough. In those cases I was admitted to the hospital with 103 temps/chills and within a few hours became septic. my body was convulsing uncontrollably/breathing rapid and a RAPID RESPONSE was called.

This condition also causes confusion/exhaustion and is now making me extremely depressed. As a single woman I can not even consider a sex life at this time in my life.

Presently I have been taking the Antibiotics and UNO MP (which has given me some relief in the past), for 1 week and notice almost no improvement. I am worried I am becoming immune to the antibiotics.
Answered by Dr. Monika Dede 19 hours later
Brief Answer:
I suggest to do blood and urine culture and antibiogram.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you writing back.
I am sorry for my late response.

Please could you clarify me do you still have fever?
If you have fever again I suggest to do a blood and urine culture and and antibiogram to define better the antibiotic resistance.

I hope my answer helps you.
Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Monika Dede 35 hours later
Hi Doc...
I went to my Urologists today and he tells me that my abdominal muscles are inflamed from my severe UTI and Septis *9/2016). He says I will feel better over time and we will continue to treat with Antibiotics and the UNO MP. He did a sonogram and said I was voiding urine sufficiently.

I do not have a fever. I do however have abdominal swelling, tenderness, pelvic pain, cronic low back pain, fatigue, exhaustion, and depression. I urinate frequently because a full or even slightly full bladder adds to my discomfort. My urine is minimal with weak stream.

I am following up with my Primary Care Physician next week and believe I should ask him for tests for Celiac Disease and or PID (Pelvic Inflammatory Disease) I read the Celiac can cause malfunction of Gallbladder (I had mine removed 2 years ago) and also cause one to feel so bloated similar to many months pregnant. There is also a study that showed Celiac patients are more likely to become Septic (Ive been Septic twice in 2016).

Please let me know what you feel. I am desperate and my quality of life is suffering.

Hopeful, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Monika Dede 25 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please see the detailed answer below.

Detailed Answer:
I am sorry for my late response.

In your situation I think you should do antibodies anti transglutaminasis and antigliadinis to exclude a Celiac diseases as well a colonoscopy .
You should know that a pelvic inflammatory disease can cause chronic pelvic pain that might last for months or years like you have.
I suggest to continue to treat with antibiotic and anti inflammatory drugs as your urologist has advised you and you should meet a gynecologist to exclude some uterus pathology.

I hope my answer helps you.
Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Dr. Monika Dede

Infectious Diseases Specialist