Suggest treatment for lower back and leg pain

Dr. Nishad BN

Posted on Wed, 22 Jul 2015 in Back Pain
Question: I have lower back back continous, bilateral leg pain, Balance problems when standing and walking, but now when I drive. My arms and hands have become weaker also. I can only stand walk for about 5-8 minutes then I feel so weak I can now go any further. My labs are normal, except I am losing B12 and D which when tested are at 0.
I also have occasional odd movements of my fingers almost like a spasm, but it doesnt hurt
Answered by Dr. Nishad BN 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
B12 deficiency and Low Vitamin D can be the reason.

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thank you for asking HCM.

I have gone through your query. Low vitamin B12 and vitamin D can be the reason for your problems.
Supplementation of those will be helpful. Vitamin B12 should be maintained above 500pg per ml. Initially can take 1000mcg injection for 1 week followed by 2000 micrograms per mouth for 2 years.

Vitamin D3 should be maintained above 20 microgram per ml. You can take supplements of 1000 IU per day or 8400 IU per week. Calcium also should be taken 0.5 -1gram daily.

Problems with lumbar spine and cervical spine like disc herniation, and nerve compression syndromes should be ruled out by carrying out an examination by ortthopedician. In case of positive signs you may need an MRI to confirm it. In such case along with medications physiotherapy and muscle strengthening exercises will be helpful.

Hope this may help you. Let me know if anything not clear.
Thanks.