Suggest treatment for lower abdominal pain

Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 2 Nov 2015 in Abdominal Pain
Question: I have a pain in my lower left abdomen (close to the hip), since this afternoon. It gets better and almost disappears when I rest, but when I walk about 20 minutes it gets very acute. Started just after I carried home about 7-8 kgs of groceries this afternoon. Also I have been constipated since this morning and I strained when I was on the toilet (don't know if there is any correlation). Just after walking pain became so bad I even felt faintish.
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Inguinal hernia should be ruled out.

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Such symptoms can be caused either by inguinal hernia or pulled adductor muscle of the thigh.
Sometimes it is very hard to distinguish which of this two reasons is causing the symptoms.
For hernia pain should also appear when coughing or pushing hard on stool. However lack of such symptoms does not rule the hernia out.

I suggest you to consult general surgeon and have physical examination and an ultrasound if necessary.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.