• question-icon

    Suggest treatment for lower abdominal pain and vomiting

Posted on Mon, 6 Jun 2016 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: my daughter has bad stomach pain lower part and vomiting all the time no fever
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:
gastritis would be the main cause that can be treated at home

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Abdominal pain and vomiting is most commonly due to infection- usually viral or bacterial infection though other causes may need to be ruled out in some cases
Eg if the pain is in the right lower part of the abdomen , may need to consider appendicitis.
If in the right upper area- gallbladder disease or liver disease

Infections such as urinary tract infections can also cause pain in the lower abdomen and vomiting but there would normally be urinary symptoms- passing urine frequently, discomfort on urination etc

Pain in the lower right or left side may indicate issues with the ovaries or pelvic infection. Severe pain in any area can result in vomiting.

If the pain is in the central upper abdomen then this is likely due to inflammation/irritation of the stomach.This would be gastritis and would be likely due to the viral or bacterial infection mentioned.
This is treated symptomatically- treat symptoms that are present, no treatment of specific virus or bacteria

Treatment of gastritis would involve : (a)holding off all solid food till a 4 hour window with no symptoms
(b)need to replace fluid that she is losing
This has to be done slowly, if excess used, this will provoke vomiting.

Use 1 tsp to 1 tbs every 5 minutes for the first hour, if tolerated (no vomiting at all), then the amount can be increased

Oral rehydration drinks or sport drink such as gatorade should be used.

(c)dramamine or peptobismol to help with the vomiting

(d)if there is any burning- pepcid or zantac can be used

It is difficult to diagnose the exact cause of abdominal pain and vomiting without being able to examine the abdomen so she may need to consider seeing her doctor for assessment.
It is always best to have an examination done especially if the pain is severe.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Answered by
Dr. Michelle Gibson James

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :2001

Answered : 16811 Questions


The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on

Recent questions on  Severe pain

doctor1 MD

Hi, My husband has pus filled pimples in the backside of his head. He has very oily hair. We have observed that they come up whenever he has sweets...

doctor1 MD

My father undergone Electrical cardioversion treatment due to having severe Atrial Fibrilation (AF). Needless to say the treatment did not work...

doctor1 MD

I have a severe pain in my right arm, actually in the muscle, upper arm... also started as a long standing fibromyalgia pain for years in shoulder...

doctor1 MD

If I might have had a heart attack 4 nights ago, should I go to emergency now? I have an appointment to see my doctor in 3 weeks. I'm 52 yr old...

doctor1 MD

Hello, my dr. Is out of of office for next week. Medical imaging called me to tell me that they picked up a 22 mm cyst on my left ovary . And a...

doctor1 MD


doctor1 MD

Hello, my name is Michael Boswell. I am a 22 year old part-time student living with my mother. I am writing because I have been to one...

Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties

148 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM Blog Questions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction
Questions Answered By Dr. Michelle Gibson James
  • Q - On insulin for diabetes. Missing periods. Pregnancy test negative. What...

  • Q - Having cramps and periods. Took advil. What should I do to get relief...

  • Q - I am 20 years old. Trying to increase height. Suggest some medicine

  • Q - Having sarcoidosis disease. What happens when they come into contact...

  • Q - After waking up there is a loud pop and the hearing improves. Looking...

  • Q - Put oxygen in nose during colonoscopy. Started sneezing and runny nose....

  • Q - Had intercourse. Getting burning sensation when urinating. What are the...

  • Q - what does Minor linear atelectasis and fibrosis posterobasal segment...

  • Q - Have blocked bile duct. Scan could not found gall bladder. What is the...

  • Q - Ultrasound showed benign cyst in kidney. Blood test showed low vitamin...